A simple one

Reaction score
Howdy,

Just received a macbook pro after having OJ spilled on my old macbook of 3 years. Did some things on that machine that I don't quite remember how I did, as they were a one time occurrence.

I had my hard drive icon on the desk top with a picture from my collection. Well, I dragged the MAC Hardrive icon from the Finder window (on this new machine) from "devices" to the desktop and got that cool puff of smoke. So, how do I get that back to the finder window? How do I get it onto the desktop? and how did I add my own picture?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hi and welcome to M-F pothypine.

Go into finder then preferences and in the general tab click and make sure you Hard Disk is selected to show on your desktop, then into sidebar and make sure it is selected to show in side bar.
Now not sure about your own picture ? You might have changed it using Candybar. If you are talking about the HD icon ?? Or you rightclick on it get info then find the picture you want, copy it then goto the info window for your HD then click the icon in the top left (should be folder) then to menu bar and edit>paste then you should have a new icon.

HTH

Cheers

OP
P
Reaction score
one small issue

Thanks so much. Getting the icon back was now problem. Followed directions with the photo bit, and all went well until the paste part. Pasted, looked like it 'took', but the icon on the desktop shows the "JPEG" preview image. It's fine, just not the pic I wanted. thoughts?

dj

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
thoughts?

dj

Reboot ??

Edit : Just had another thought that you have to make the picture you want to use a .icns extension. If you have photoshop you might be able to do it that way. Maybe a more switched on member ??
Or you could surf the free icon site or Deviant Art and find some cool looking icons.
I recommend downloading CandyBar as well. This makes changing ANY icon simple and can be fun, as its quick bc you can store all your cool found icons in there . . . .

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I had my hard drive icon on the desk top with a picture from my collection. Well, I dragged the MAC Hardrive icon from the Finder window (on this new machine) from "devices" to the desktop and got that cool puff of smoke.

Yeah, don't do that. The same thing will happen to icons from the Dock at the bottom of the screen. It's easy to drag them back, but a pain if you really don't want them to be "poofed".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Pasting a copied image into the Get Window pop up is not always the best way to change icons, especially system icons. I would recommend LiteIcon which has little boxes for every kind of device, folder, and location that you just drag icons to. Interfacelife.com is a good place to go for replacement icons.

OP
P
Reaction score
A simple one...continued

Is there a way to get the original icon to return? Currently showing the 'jpeg' with the preview icon showing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I think... highlight, Get Info
Click the icon in that window, hit Delete
The original icon is restored.

Tell me if that was right. If it doesn't work, it shouldn't do any harm to try it.

OP
P
Reaction score
just got back to this post...I'll give it a shot and see what comes. thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.