Something weird happened with my Applications folder...

Reaction score
All my applications dissapeared from my user Applications folder... Applications still show up in system folder on the finder sidebar, but when I click my username and then click on my applications folder, it is empty. Does this make sense? I have all the latest updates, on iMac with snow leopard...

OP
M
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I did have to repair my disk recently, I did a "verify disk" in disk utility and it said to repair the disk. So I booted with the OSX DVD and repaired the disk.

Not sure if that has something to do with it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Are they all the same applications that were in your user folder?
Also, are they the same applications that are in Macintosh HD/Applications?

I am assuming that you are the admin, and that answer to both of the above is yes.

I don't know how on earth you got to that predicament, but I would simply open 2 finder windows (by clicking command N while you have 1 finder window open), highlight all (select all) the applications in one of the windows, and holding option, drag them to your empty applications folder and drop them in there.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi 6string, yes you are right I am the admin so the applications in the system folder are the exact same as my user folder... or at least they used to be.

Aren't the applications in the user folder really just shortcuts to the system folder? Ok so if I do the option drag, it will just make shortcuts again right? It won't duplicate all the apps?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
The Applications folder in the sidebar is a short cut to your applications which are in Macintosh HD.
If you right click on applications in the side bar, and select enclosing folder, you will see that it opens up a new finder window with Macintosh HD highlighted (which is the enclosing folder).
The more I think about your situation, the more I am confused.... as there really isn't a user applications folder.
In saying that, anything I install I install for all users when prompted, and always have done.

So I guess my question now is, do you have an applications folder inside your user folder (home folder)?

OP
M
Reaction score
So I guess my question now is, do you have an applications folder inside your user folder (home folder)?

Yes, I do. That is the one that is empty. It has the Applications symbol on the folder too (the little pencil, ruler, and brush).

Maybe I am going crazy or something, but I could have sworn that folder was full at some point in time... the same as the folder in the sidebar.

I looked on the apple website, and you are right, there is no mention of an applications folder in the home folder... so maybe I accidentally added it there?

I feel like an idiot, thank you for the help. Sorry for wasting your time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
You can install applications in the user application folder to make them only available to that user. However, the default location is the system application folder so unless you purposely put it in your user application folder, you won't have any there.

It's not abnormal to have an applications folder in your user (home) folder. I have one there. Why some don't, I have no clue, maybe it's something that's a carry over from older versions of OS X, or maybe clean installs of Snow Leopard without copying any data over from a previous install doesn't have it? But either way, having one there is nothing to worry about, especially if it's empty.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2712981&tstart=-1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can install applications in the user application folder to make them only available to that user. However, the default location is the system application folder so unless you purposely put it in your user application folder, you won't have any there.

It's not abnormal to have an applications folder in your user (home) folder. I have one there. Why some don't, I have no clue, maybe it's something that's a carry over from older versions of OS X, or maybe clean installs of Snow Leopard without copying any data over from a previous install doesn't have it? But either way, having one there is nothing to worry about, especially if it's empty.

Apple - Support - Discussions - Applications Folder In Home Folder? ...

This explains things for me too.... I have always performed clean installs with my OS's since Panther, and always only had my one Admin account, and occasionally a guest account.
Never had a need for Applications to be anywhere else but their default location.
Sorry that I couldn't clear up the confusion for you Michelle, but glad schweb chimed in when he did :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.