Mac App Store - Updating Free Apps

srp

Reaction score
I recently updated a free application through the Mac App Store (first time since I am new to the service) and I noticed on the website of the application itself that it's no longer free. When I downloaded it, it was free (hence the reason why I downloaded it). What I want to know is if, by pressing the update button for this originally free app, I just purchased it? The only prompt I received was to enter my iTunes account information, but that's standard for downloading/updating anything - free or purchased. Is this something I should be worried about? Can you update a free application that is no longer free and be charged for it without knowing about it?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
To the best of my knowledge, an Update is just an update. I think it would have to have a purchase price in order for you to be charged. You can try to contact the creator of the App to clarify.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.