Removing default PHP and building latest from source

Reaction score
I have managed to download and build PHP 5.3.3 from source on my 10.5.8 system, but there are still vestiages of the old version of PHP on this system -- mostly command-line stuff.

For example, on the command line, instead of just typing "php file.php", it launches an older version of php. To get my latest running, I must type the full path to my new php: "/usr/local/bin/php file.php"

I see that my path is this:
Code:
My_Mac:mbam_v4 sneakyimp$ echo $PATH
/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin:/usr/local/mysql/bin:.

And that there's a version of php living in /usr/bin:
Code:
My_Mac:mbam_v4 sneakyimp$ ls -l /usr/bin/php
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  14869808 Oct  6 16:57 /usr/bin/php
Note that the item there is a full-blown file and not a symbolic link. I'd like to delete it but I'm a bit afraid to break things -- and I'm also wondering if there might be other pieces to this old PHP somewhere.

I'm wondering anyone can give me a comprehensive set of steps to get rid of all OLD versions of php and get my new one hooked in at all the right places. Any help would be much appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.