• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple, Cisco, Pfizer, others lobby for special tax break

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Apple, Cisco, Pfizer, others lobby for special tax break
Apple, Cisco, Pfizer, others lobby for special tax break | Electronista

In short Apple and others who have a large percentage of their earnings overseas don't want to pay the 35% tax to get the money back into the USA. They want a one year tax holiday to get the cash back tot he USA. And in that year under their proposal, the tax rate for moving the funds would only be 5%.

I saw this and thought to myself. Hmmmm that's 30% Apple does not want to pay. Hmmmm have I seen 30% somewhere before? It sounds strangely familiar. :).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
That's ridiculous.

That's like me saying, "hey government, I don't like paying taxes, so how about you don't tax me this year, ok?"

Suck it up. You put your money over there knowing there was a tax to be paid. Just pay it.

Corporations have way too much power in this country, no thanks to our esteemed Justices Scalia and Thomas...conflicts of interest be darned.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
That's ridiculous.
Suck it up. You put your money over there knowing there was a tax to be paid. Just pay it.
It's not case of putting your money out of the US. It's more a case of it happens with any international company cause sales generated outside the US have to stay outside the US unless you convert the local currency back to US dollars and pay the cash import tax.

But I agree with you, that all these companies are fully aware that is how the US system works. They just want to avoid paying tax. Can I work overseas for a year or two then expect not to be charged import tax on the money I bring back to Australia? No way. I have to pay it. As should these companies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Good luck to them, with many governments running deficits taxes may well increase rather than decrease. And dont think I would relish a tax increase, who does?

Its either that or cut spending, but I cant see the US government of either party rushing to decrease spending on the two big ones, defence and welfare for the elderly, neither of which are exactly vote winners despite calls to cut gov spending.

Unfortunately there is no magic cure, either cut a deficit by tax increases or cut spending on big ticket items, I had to when the crunch hit with no holidays for 3 years and no new TV for the last 10 years.

If only governments could only borrow what they can pay back in a reasonable time frame.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If only governments could only borrow what they can pay back in a reasonable time frame.
But they expect us Joe Sixpack to be able to do this. When they can not. Hypocrisy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Their reasoning is they would use the money to invest more in the US. The reality is the last time this tax holiday was tried in 2004 that there was no further investment, but the shareholders got more money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
The rich get richer...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.