Macbook won't run of AC power (batt only)

Reaction score
My macbook is only running off of a very week old battery and here's the strange part, I get no power from the AC. The battery is SLOWLY taking a charge from the AC when the computer is off. But the AC LED is Green. In about 24 hours it'll charge for about 15 min. of life.....:( Sadly, I'm a bit more dependent then that.

So just take the batt. out and replace it. I WISH it was a battery problem. When I take the batt. out I get nothing when I try and turn it on. BUT, the LED light is green and on. But nothing, no startup. just... cold... death...

When my battery dies the AC turns orange for about a min. then back to green. When i try and turn on my comp. It makes the startup sound and the macbook gives out within a few sec. SO.... I let it sit for a day and it'll take enough charge for basic "cry for mac-forum" help.

I've reset the PRAM a few times, which has changed nothing....

The problem started when I noticed it said battery "not charging" then when my batt. died I realized It wouldn't power up.

My battery health diagnostic is fair, about 600+ cycles, but it notes there that it's not taking a charge... but is it... kind of... slowly.

It's a 2008 macbook.

Thanks for any help will be given!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Sounds like your battery. Your MB is 2-3 yrs old, and it is an eventuality.

If you can take it to the Apple Store, they'll tell you if it's your battery or your MagSafe charger or something internal more serious.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Agree with MYmacROX take it into a reseller or Genius Bar. Either the battery or the mains cable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.