27'' iMac + Mini-Displayport = connection nightmare !..

Reaction score
algarve in sunny southern Portugal,near the sea
Your Mac's Specs
intel 17'', 2Ghz I-Mac replaced under warranty by an alu 20'' iMac
Hi guys

this IS a long post , please accept my apologies & bear w/ me...
when i got my 1st Intel iMac ( white, 17''.. ) i built a desk to stash away cabling & peripherals out of sight yet highly accessible/practical, i learned this pays off when i played in a band & ''managed'' the rehearsal room's/instrument's cabling !
recently i sold my alu 20'' iMac & got a 27'' iMac i7 + Ergotron MX wall mount & wasn't too happy because the Mini-Displayport ( mDP.. ) to HDMI adapter for my plasma TV hang sloppily at the bottom of it but....O.K, i guess i could live w/ that !
later, some extra $ came my way & i got a Wacom Cintiq 21UX + Ergotron LX desk arm. that's when all **** broke loose :

the Cintiq has a DVI-I plug, the iMac's mDP to DVI adapters are plain DVI so an extra adapter cable w/ further 2 very boxy/nasty plugs had to be added.
worse, the iMac only having 1 mDP in/out port means i can't have BOTH the TV AND the Cintiq connected, hence more cables + adapters hanging under the once slick & gorgeous iMac/Ergotron combo.....NOT nice ! since the HDMI cable is 15mm & the Cintiq is another 15mm, the bundle coming off the iMac is thick & makes moving the Ergotron around awkward ….
no problem i thought, time to buy a mDP extension/splitter ! this would :

1 - spare it a daily plug/unplug routine thus preserving the iMacs port's health - mDP don't strike me as the sturdiest of plugs + the price repairing it if it went wrong - ouch !…
2 - given the difference in diameter of the cables i have & the one of a mDP, moving the arm around would become A LOT easier…
3 - would place the adapter plugs - by now there are 5, each 1 prettier than the next.. - out of sight w/ the other cabling

considering Apple's, & quality accessory makers catering for this kind of machine, extensive industrial design experience, this can't be BUT straightforward right ?…..well much to my dismay, no, NOT REALLY !

1st frustration :
after EXTENSIVE web search there are a few extensions out there but i only found one splitter cable - Tripp Lite's P584-001-M2M : P584-001-M2M - Mini - Displayport to Mini - Displayport Splitter, Male to 2 x Female, 1ft
however when asked if it would allow to have BOTH my TV & my tablet connected ( but to use 1 at a time..) their answer was :
''....Since the P584-001-M2M is designed for use with devices that will connect direct to the unit via Displayport connection, we cannot guarantee compatibility when using the DVI to Displayport adaptors mentioned in the inquiry...''
in short : it sounds like they don't know & they are NOT alone - so far NO ONE has been able to shed some light on this !!??

2nd frustration :
said splitter is some 20 cm long & the splitter box is as big as a Vicks Vaporub jar : that + the 5 or 6 adapters will look REAL nice & polished hanging from the iMac, right ?

3rd frustration :
the only other way to go ( subject to confirmation it does work.. ) is either this way -
Atlona :: Products :: Amplifiers/Splitters :: DisplayPort & Mini DisplayPort Amplifiers/Splitters :: ATLONA 1x2 MINI DISPLAYPORT SPLITTER at a cost of £250
or this way -
Multiple Monitors for Laptops | Multi-monitors at a cost of £150 + cables - any one knows/has/works with these boxes ?

4th frustration :
in a day & age where Mac Minis & iMacs are ROUTINELY used as home media centers, NO ONE saw this coming ? hence no one produced the necessary hardware to solve this ?……….i understand DVI-I isn't the most advanced plug format out there BUT if Wacom uses it on the Cintiq 21UX, it's not also so ''last ice age''...
so, PLEASE; PLEASE; PLEASE does anyone know where can i get either :

1 - a 1 meter long cable w/ a male mDP plug & a splitter box w/ BOTH a HDMI & A DVI-I i could plug my stuff into without any adapters
2 - a 1 meter long cable w/ a male mDP plug & a splitter box w/ 2 female mDP plugs i could plug my adapters into but out of sight
3 - ANY other solution/suggestion so i can leave my iMac's mDP plug well alone AND not have a cable bundle as thick as a thigh coming out at the back thus making the Ergotron unusable

ANY help WILL be GREATLY appreciated - many thanks for your patience

cheers

Nuno

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
Have You tried Monoprice.com They carry a bunch of mini display port cables even extensions.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Ramimac1
i did & yes they do have extensions, which will be a last case scenario solution since at least it will prevent subjecting the iMac's Mini-Displayport to constant wear & tear.....
that way i will wear down the extension's female plug & not the computer's but still, i would LOVE to get a Mini-Displayport hub of some description, you know what i mean ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
Well how about a Mini diplsay port to HDMI and get an HDMI switch box and adapt to your devices that way.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Ramimac1
& i think i finally got a solution & it's by means of these components :
ACCELL Cables - Audio, Video, Speaker, Computer Cables and Interconnects plugged into my iMac then this plugged into it- ACCELL Cables - Audio, Video, Speaker, Computer Cables and Interconnects with these adapters -
this one for the Cintiq - ACCELL Cables - Audio, Video, Speaker, Computer Cables and Interconnects

& this one for the plasma - ACCELL Cables - Audio, Video, Speaker, Computer Cables and Interconnects
just waiting for the response of their Technical Support, let's see what they say....

fingers crossed.... ;-)

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
looks good...

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i'll keep you posted....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.