Strange thing at startup

Reaction score
I've had a Mac or two for over twenty years but never seen this. When I turn on my 24" iMac ( 18 months old latest OS etc ) I get this constant very fast loud ( if the vol is on ) da da da da da just non stop until I click my profile to log in. Then I get in the password box non stop da da da da da with the bold black bullet points screaming across the password box where you type, if I were to just sit there it would go all day. In the end I hight light some of the bullets and press delete until I get rid of them all, then I can type my password.
I've had a few small problems since my son got addicted to World of WarCraft as the game seems to take up loads of memory etc. Could this be the cause and how can I cure it ?
Yes I know before anyone says " get the boy off the game".

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Very strange problem, would seem like a stuck-down key on the keyboard, does the same problem occur when you go into textedit? If so it will tell you which key is playing up, if this is the problem.
Could be a little out-there but you could try resetting the PRAM and NVRAM to see if that stops the problem.
Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

Hope this helps

- Simon

OP
glennpompier
Reaction score
Thanks Simon I'll try that, thanks for the link. No the Keys are ok, only does it at start up when turned on in the morning, when I log out and back in etc it's fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
When trying to diagnose "strange sounds" it can be difficult i'm sure you can imagine without being able to hear it. Hopefully this will sort it though ;)
Keep us posted

- Simon

OP
glennpompier
Reaction score
Ok, the resetting PRAM etc don't work or I can't get to work lol. Anyway I tried looking into the sticky Key idea. I re-started the iMac without the Keyboard connected. Fine up to the point when I plugged it in, all the noise started as per normal and then press any key on the keyboard it stops. No bullets screaming across the password box after when you log in. Maybe I need a new keyboard? The capital O won't work either unless you have caps lock on lol.

Text Edit ok.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It could be the "O" that is causing the problems... what keyboard have you got? Bluetooth or USB? And also does it have the numeric keys on it?

- Simon

OP
glennpompier
Reaction score
USB Keyboard and yes. Must say though all the keys press down and return ok, none sticking.

Reaction score
Ok, the resetting PRAM etc don't work or I can't get to work lol. Anyway I tried looking into the sticky Key idea. I re-started the iMac without the Keyboard connected. Fine up to the point when I plugged it in, all the noise started as per normal and then press any key on the keyboard it stops. No bullets screaming across the password box after when you log in. Maybe I need a new keyboard? The capital O won't work either unless you have caps lock on lol.

Text Edit ok.
543.jpg

i think some ICs on the keyboard must have been damage. Pretty much, you need to do is buy a new one or borrow a keyboard if it is really your keyboard that has a problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.