Looking to buy a used Macbook, but where?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MPB
Looking to pick up a second hand white macbook with a budget of $500. I've been checking ebay, but I'm a little nervous about buying one there. What other options do I have beyond craigslist and Amazon ?

I've searched around and found a number of websites, wegenermedia.com\\
macofalltrades.com to name a few, but does anyone have any first hand experience and know of a reputable company?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Buying a used computer whether it be a Mac or a PC has its risks. Preferably if you can afford it, buying a refurbished computer direct from Apple is best. However, don't expect to get one for $500. If you can't afford a refurbished MacBook, the next best thing would be to buy one from someone you know and trust.

I generally recommend against buying off eBay. While there are bargains to be had, it's also too easy to be duped. Amazon is better than eBay in my opinion as they seem to offer a better purchase guaranty. Craig's list is alright if you can meet the seller in a safe place and have a chance to test the machine before you buy. The problem with Craig's list is that the sale is cash and if it goes wrong, you're out the cash with no recourse to get your money back.

Your choice.... O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Reaction score
There are several places that I usually trust and recommend for used Macs.

But I get the impression that with the bad economy, combined with a strong demand for Macs, that lots of users are looking at the used market as a way of saving money when purchasing a Mac, and that has caused the supply of used Macs to practically dry up.

If you want a Mac with a G4 or G5 processor, it's fairly easy to find them. But anything with an Intel processor is going to be hard to find, especially at a good price.

Used Macs, Baucom Computers

http://shop.poweron.com/
(They currently offer a white Macbook Core 2 Duo from 2007 for $584.)

TechRestore :: Mac Systems :: MacBook & MacBook Pro

Used Macs & Apple Computers - MacBook Pros, iMacs & Cheap Macs - All Tax Free | PowerMax

Smalldog.com | Refurbished Products | Small Dog Electronics

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
But I get the impression that with the bad economy, combined with a strong demand for Macs, that lots of users are looking at the used market as a way of saving money when purchasing a Mac, and that has caused the supply of used Macs to practically dry up.

Very true. And because of that, eBay schemes and false advertisements for Mac computers have increased substantially. So be very careful. Go to the links that Randy provided or follow the advice I gave you.

Reaction score
I have bought used laptops off of ebay not to mention memory chips, software, and other stuff mac. Like in any transaction do your homework and buy from a reputable seller. On the plus side, though I have never had to use it, ebay/paypal will stand behind the transaction so if you get something not as advertised they will make it right which is something this forum will not do in the buy/sell/trade section. Good luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.