Does the Time Capsule support AirPlay, How?

Reaction score
I know you can use an audio connection between an airport express and the stereo (for me home entertainment system). I'm using my time capsule now as my wireless router connected to a cable modem. I hooked up my home entertainment system to the time capsule via ethernet (hoping it would work), but no dice. I don't see an audio plug on the Time Capsule. It does have a USB plug, could I use that to connect to my home entertainment system allowing me to use AirPlay to stream music from iTunes on my computer to my entertainment system? I looked around iTunes to see if there was any way manually to look for AirPlay speakers, but couldn't find anything.

Does anyone know understand what I'm trying to do and can help? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Not the way you are trying to do it. The USB on the TC is a NAS/Printer USB and that is it. If you want some kind of Airplay then you need to get an Airport Express, Sonos, or something like Airfoil and another computer. There are many other options but there is no audio out of the Time Capsule.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
The Airport Express is the only Apple router with this functionality. AppleTV would be another option in the same price range. It has more features, including video streaming, but is not a wireless router.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.