How to backup windows bootcamp (partitioned) part of HDD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (2010)- 2.4 GHz Duo- 8 GB Ram
Hey guys! I am about to setup bootcamp with Windows 7 on my macbook pro and I will probably partitioning around 50GB. My only question is that how will i backup this portion of my internal HDD with my usb external HDD? Currently I am using CCC (carbon copy cloner) to backup my whole HDD. Will CCC backup the partitioned portion?!
Thanks for any help everyone, I really appreciate it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
With CCC, backing up non-HFS+-formatted volumes (Bootcamp) is not currently supported.
But they are investigating how to provide this support in a future release.

I have read that people have used Winclone to backup their bootcamp partition but not with good results.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Agree with not using Winclone. Too many problems and it reportedly has caused corruption for some.

However, Microsoft was real nice with Windows 7 and provided an easy way to make the backup direct from Windows. All you need is an external drive formatted to NTFS (must be NTFS or it will not work)

Select backup from the Start menu. Attach the formatted NTFS external drive. Now select backup and backup to image. (both) Windows 7 will make a clone copy of your partition to the external drive and at the same time make a compressed backup of the files and folders.

In order to restore, attach the NTFS external drive and then boot the machine (your Mac) with the Windows 7 DVD, select the Boot Camp partition, and click on restore image. Follow directions. The program will restore your Windows 7 partition from the external NTFS drive.

OP
Kobe24
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (2010)- 2.4 GHz Duo- 8 GB Ram
Thanks guys! Cleared things up for me quite a bit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
I just upgraded from WinXP Pro to Win 7 Ultimate on my Bootcamp partition and I am new to it. Thx for the backup info chscag!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP OS X 10.6.6, 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, Win 7 Ult, 3G iPhone
I just added a Bootcamp partition for Win 7 and wondered about the Windows backup. Does the external HDD need to be dedicated for backups only or can it have some existing files on it?

I know it's not a problem for Time Machine backups, except that it limits available backup space. I assume it works generally the same. Can someone confirm this?

-CAF

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As long as the external hard drive is formatted to NTFS and has space for the image and backup folder, it can be shared with other data. I have mine setup that way and it works fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.