Time Machine/CCC & NTFS

Reaction score
Ok, so I'll try to make this as clear as possible..

I got a free MBP from my university a year and a half ago. But it was just a loan of one... so basically when I graduate they're going to be taking it back (what they'll use it for I have no idea, most of their older stuff winds up in the skip)
My own laptop is windows... and I got an external hard drive a year ago. So, I formatted it to NTFS and just used MacFuse/NTFS3g so that the Mac could write to it...

So I'm hoping to buy myself a new Mac when this one gets taken away... but it'd be nice not to have to re-install EVERYTHING

So I was reading about Carbon Copy Cloner... which makes a bootable backup, but apparently will only back up to a HFS+ drive...

I have no HFS+ external and I can't completely reformat my external... I was thinking of making a HFS+ partition on my external, but apparently if you try to do that with disk utility it'll wipe the whole thing... now I've only read that, I have no idea if it's true

So I was wondering if anyone has ever done anything similar, or knows if I can easily make a time machine or ccc backup to an NTFS drive, or else create a smaller HFS+ drive on an NTFS external

TL; DR - Any way at all to back up to an NTFS drive without reformatting the whole thing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
2 methods spring to mind.

1. Move everything from the external onto the Mac, reformat it with a big enough HFS+ partition to create your clone, and create a FAT 32 (MS DOS) partition.
Move everything back to your FAT 32 partition again, and clone onto your newly created HFS+ partition.

2.Move everything to your windows laptop, partition the hard drive in windows disk manager (admin tools).
Format the first partition NTFS in windows, and then plug it into your Mac and format the unformatted partition to HFS+.
Move everything back from the Windows laptop to your NTFS partition.
Finally, clone OS X to your HFS+ partition.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
I depends when they take it away.

If your new MBP ships with LION then the CCC restore may not work as the hardware will potentially not run the 10.6 OS.

If you have them both at the same time you could always run the Migration Assistant to transfer user accounts and data.

OR just drop $50 on a new USB HD and use CCC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.