Very odd problem with my Mac desktop

Reaction score
My mac desktop is automatically naming files (e.g. harddrive is now called abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz, some new files it has made are called a and abcdefghi.)

The mouse now clicks on random things and all previous things on my desktop screen are gone (e.g. no more Starcraft, Skype, or Itunes on teh desktop.) My hand is off the mouse has we are speaking yet the hardrive keeps getting renamed the alphabet in front of my eyes.

Sorry for my lack of info on my computer but I am just hoping this is a somewhat common problem and there is an easy fix. Has anyone heard of this or had this personally happen? Better yet, does anyone know hoq to fix this?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
do a repair permissions in disk utility.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sorry for my lack of info on my computer but I am just hoping this is a somewhat common problem and there is an easy fix. Has anyone heard of this or had this personally happen? Better yet, does anyone know hoq to fix this?

Not a common problem. But it sounds like your keyboard is running wild along with the trackpad. Did you recently or perhaps in the past, spill liquid on the keyboard?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.