Bootcamp cannot be used?? Please help

Reaction score
I wanted to install windows 7 on my macbook so I opened up bootcamp Assistant and during the windows install I canceled as I thought I might need more space on the windows side so I canceled it. I wanted to install windows again with a bigger hardrive space so I started up my macbook again and opened up bootcamp assistant and it said I need to install updates ran the updater and no updates what do I do please help thanks. :D
Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MB51.007D.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.32f8
Serial Number (system):
Hardware UUID:
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I need to understand exactly what you did first.

Are you saying that you cancelled the Windows 7 installation after creating a partition for Windows 7 using the Boot Camp assistant?

If that's what you did, you will no longer be able to use the Boot Camp assistant to create a new larger partition without first removing the old one.

What you have to do is open the Boot Camp assistant, go to create partition, and then click on restore. That will remove the old Boot Camp partition and will allow you to create a new one.

Post back and let us know.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi thanks for replying I made a partition of 20gb I think and then I began installing windows 7. During the installation I canceled it as I felt I might need more space on the windows side.

My mac then rebooted as normal and I opened up bootcamp assistant and a grey box popped up You must update your system software before using this setup assistant.

I opened up the software updater at the top with the apple logo and ran the updater and installed a firmware updater and after that I rebooted my mac but I still can't use bootcamp assistant as that box is popping up and I can't even access to do anything with it and clear the partition and start again.

Thanks for you help I much appreciate it :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your MacBook according to the info you supplied, is a late 2008 Aluminum model that shipped with Leopard. (10.5.X) I can't imagine that it would have needed an update to run Boot Camp, much less a firmware update. Which firmware update did you download?

We can always remove the Boot Camp partition with Disk Utility if we have to but I'm still not understanding what's going on with the update.

Let us know what you want to do... As I said, we can always remove the BC partition and start over.

OP
M
Reaction score
I installed snow leopard on my mac. Since it is asking for an update when I start bootcamp assistant I ran software updater to see if that would fix the problem which I am having.

The software updater came up with an update for firmware and I clicked install but it won't install it said close all applications and try again, I opened up force quit and quit all the applications running which were only safari and Itunes and then ran the updater again and the update will still not install. The previous update which I mentioned to you must not have installed then as its the same update could this be causing the problem.

How do I get this problem fixed as I need to use windows on my mac.

Thanks for your help with this much appreciated. :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I'm still confused as to what took place. When you installed Snow Leopard, it also installed Boot Camp version 3.0. I've installed Windows 7 from Snow Leopard and was never asked to update. However, after Windows 7 was installed, I updated the Boot Camp control panel and drivers from within Windows. That brought BC up to the latest.

I think your best solution is to remove the Boot Camp partition and start over. I'm a bit concerned though that there is something else wrong and hesitate to force remove the partition.

What I suggest doing is boot your machine with the Snow Leopard DVD and use Disk Utility from the DVD to run a verify and repair on the hard drive. Also do a permissions repair - all from the SL DVD.

Post back the results. If the hard drive and permissions are OK, we can then try to remove the BC partition using Disk Utility and start over.

OP
M
Reaction score
I don't know why its asking for an update. Im confused my self with why bootcamp assistant will not start up its popping up with the message to update.

Could you please tell me how I can get this sorted,could you tell me the steps involved in removing the partition and do you think this will sort the problem so I can then install windows 7 with bigger space.

Im confused in what your saying insert the leopard cd and boot up sorry I don't understand. If I boot up with the cd will the mac side be ok?

Thanks again. :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK. Let's do this first:

Boot the machine with your Snow Leopard DVD, not the Leopard DVD. You do that by holding down the OPTION key after the chime until you see the Apple appear.

Next, instead of proceeding with the install, click on the top menu "Utilities" and then click on "Disk Utility". Select your hard drive on the left side. Then click on the First Aid tab on the right side. Select the Verify and Repair feature. After that finishes (and all errors if any are corrected), further select the "Repair Permissions" option at the bottom. Both may take a while to run so be patient.

Post back results. As I said before, if everything is OK with the drive we'll remove the Boot Camp partition.

Let us know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.