Buying a new iMac - What to upgrade??

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I've decided to buy a new iMac because I am starting a work from home job next week. My budget is 2 grand...and I have chosen the:

iMac
27-inch: 3.2GHz
3.2GHz Intel Core i3

While purchasing, I would like to upgrade it to an i5, as well as upgrade one other component and within my 2,000 dollar budget. My options are:

8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x2GB (From 4GB)
or
ATI Radeon HD 5750 1GB GDDR5 SDRAM (From 512)
or
2TB Serial ATA Drive (From 1TB)

Choosing one of those upgrades would put me at about $1,900 dollars, which would be great because I also want to purchase Microsoft programs for the computer, and photoshop later on. I'm just not sure which is better to upgrade. I want a good machine because I will be keeping it for many years. I will be using it for:

-Photoshop
-Writing newsletters
-Editing websites
-Listening to music/Watching movies
-Some very light gaming; things like SIMs and Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory on the weekends
-Chatting; AIM, Skype, email, etc (multiple windows open)

I understand there is also a quad-core i5 iMac, but it starts out at 2 grand which would automatically meet my budget and would leave no room for upgrading the above options. But is that an altogether better option, sans upgrades?

Thank you for ANY help!!!! Please respond quickly as I'd like to buy this today.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21½" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac, 12GB Crucial RAM

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Of those three options, I would probably go with the upgraded Graphics card for the sole reason the others can be upgraded later and cheaper than buying from Apple.
Hope you enjoy your new Mac.

OP
M
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as I too will be buying an iMac soon. You can, however, save some money buy upgrading your RAM yourself.

8GB Kit (4GBx2), 204-pin SODIMM, DDR3 PC3-10600 upgrades for Apple iMac 2.93GHz Intel Quad-Core i7 (27-inch - DDR3) Mid 2010 Desktop/PC, CT1412114 from Crucial.com

You can now upgrade something else. I'd recommend the hard drive. Hope this helps!

That DOES help, thank you! I had seen on a few other forums that you can easily upgrade the RAM, but not the processor.

So the graphics card doesn't matter as much?? :D

OP
M
Reaction score
Of those three options, I would probably go with the upgraded Graphics card for the sole reason the others can be upgraded later and cheaper than buying from Apple.
Hope you enjoy your new Mac.

That's one for the graphics card, then!

Thank you very much! :)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you looked in the refurb store at Apple. They have a Quad core i5 2.8GH w/1GB Graphics Card for $1699.

Refurbished iMac 27-inch 2.8GHz Intel Quad-Core i5 processorOriginally released July 2010
27-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
4GB memory
1TB hard drive
8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
ATI Radeon HD 5750 graphics with 1GB memory
Built-in iSight camera

Refurbs have same warranty as new and are eligble for Applecare purchase.

OP
M
Reaction score
Have you looked in the refurb store at Apple. They have a Quad core i5 2.8GH w/1GB Graphics Card for $1699.

I have, yes! I am leaning towards brand new because...well, brand new! Also I like the option of upgrades and being able to get the wireless keyboard with the numerical keypad attached. I didn't see those options on the refurbished computers. :\ Also, some of the refurbs say they are from 2009 or 2010. Does that make much of a difference?

And is there a big difference between 3.2GH and 2.8GH? Sorry about all of the questions, I just want to make the best purchase possible!

OP
M
Reaction score
I just purchased the

Refurbished iMac 27-inch 2.8GHz Intel Quad-Core i5 processor for $1699

Thank you very much for the help :)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just purchased the

Refurbished iMac 27-inch 2.8GHz Intel Quad-Core i5 processor for $1699

Thank you very much for the help :)

You are very welcome. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.