Not enough ram to install Snow Leopard...how do I get back to Tiger?

Reaction score
Ok couple years ago, my husband and I bought a Macbook from a friend. I don't recall getting the discs from him. I recently bought the Snow Leopard upgrade because I couldn't update my itunes and iphone. I was really excited. I am not really tech savvy and don't know much about hardware, etc. So I go to install the SL and it says I don't have enough ram. I hardly have anything on my Mac, so I was surprised. Anyway, now I can't do anything. It's stuck on this screen. It gives me an option to restore from back-up. But when I click on that, there are no options. Any suggestions/help please and thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
If you need to reinstall Tiger but don't have the disks, you'll need to call Apple and you can purchase some replacement restore disks for your machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Macbook RAM is cheap. Why not buy more memory instead of buying replacement disks?

OP
K
Reaction score
Macbook RAM is cheap. Why not buy more memory instead of buying replacement disks?

Yeah I have no problem doing that...was planning on it actually. But how would I install it without getting back to any operating system? As I said before, I'm not tech savvy at all.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Yeah I have no problem doing that...was planning on it actually. But how would I install it without getting back to any operating system? As I said before, I'm not tech savvy at all.

ifixit.com
will have step by step instructions on how to install the RAM. Upgrading the RAM is completely independent of the operating system install BTW.

OP
K
Reaction score
ifixit.com
will have step by step instructions on how to install the RAM. Upgrading the RAM is completely independent of the operating system install BTW.

Ok thanks! So I'm admitting to a blonde moment. I thought I couldn't get to the old OS because when I would turn on pc, it just tried to install SL, then told me not enough memory, then to either restart or go from back-up. So I got a brilliant idea to take the SL cd out and voila back to old laptop. I felt pretty dumb. ;D I will look into buying and install RAM.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Ok thanks! So I'm admitting to a blonde moment. I thought I couldn't get to the old OS because when I would turn on pc, it just tried to install SL, then told me not enough memory, then to either restart or go from back-up. So I got a brilliant idea to take the SL cd out and voila back to old laptop. I felt pretty dumb. ;D I will look into buying and install RAM.
I lost track long ago of the number of times I felt dumb! :)
Glad everything worked out well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
So I go to install the SL and it says I don't have enough ram. I hardly have anything on my Mac, so I was surprised.

Ok, you seem to have connected two things there that aren't related. RAM (Random-Access Memory) is not affected by how much "stuff" (files and programs) you have on your Mac, and vice versa. The more RAM you have, the more programs you can have open simultaneously without degrading performance (speed), for instance. How much stuff you can jam onto the computer is a function of the size (capacity) of the hard disk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.