What flavor of memory for iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21½" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac, 12GB Crucial RAM
Yes, I did do a search before I posted! :p

So I'm doing a bit of research before getting my iMac, most likely the Quad-Core i7 variety, but memory is something I wasn't quite confident in. Its overkill, but I'd like 16GB on my iMac since I'll be doing a lot of video and graphic editing. Now obviously you can overpay for memory with Apple when you intially buy, but I'm thinking...no. I'd like to buy my iMac "bare bones" and then install the memory myself and save a few frogbacks.

I've done a bit of research and I'm fairly certain my new iMac uses 204-pin 1333 MHz DDR3 SDRAM (and I'll need 4x4GB DIMMs to get my 16GB). As I see it, there are few venues one can aquire extra memory other than from Apple:

OWC carries their own blend:
16.0GB (4x4.0GB Kit) PC3-10600 DDR3 1333M... (1333DDR3S16S) at OWC

Newegg has "iRam":
Newegg.com - iRam 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333 ECC Memory for Apple iMac Model IR8GSO1333D3K

Newegg also carries Muskin RAM for iMac:
Newegg.com - Mushkin Enhanced 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Memory for Apple Model 976647A

Price is about the same. Latency is about the same. Has anyone had experience or a preference when buying some extra RAM for their iMac? What flavor memory do you like in your iMac? Thoughts? :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I just always buy ram from Crucial for my Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
OP
Phacade
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
[Keanu Reeves] "...whoa." [/Keanu Reeves]

That is cheaper! Awesome, thanks guys!! :D:D

Reaction score
If you visit the Apple support forums you'll see a lot of people seem to have problems with random shutdowns with anything other than Samsung RAM.

OP
Phacade
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you visit the Apple support forums you'll see a lot of people seem to have problems with random shutdowns with anything other than Samsung RAM.

Having not tried one RAM over another in a Mac, I haven't the first hand experience to say, but I simply cannot image that one RAM is better than another.

:Confused:

Reaction score
Having not tried one RAM over another in a Mac, I haven't the first hand experience to say, but I simply cannot image that one RAM is better than another.

:Confused:

Actually there is such a thing as cheap RAM! the same as there is cheap Hard drives, cheap processors etc.

I dont however agree with the price apple charge for RAM, go with a good well known RAM, i have not heard of RAM causing a MAC to shutdown or reboot unless the RAM was Faulty!

Reaction score
Just trying to save you some hassle; take a look at the forums. (In fact I tweeted a guy yesterday who'd said his Mac kept shutting down; asked him if he'd had new RAM and he said yes, OMC; was changing it for Samsung.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I think this is really probably just a Samsung rep spreading FUD lol

I've been using Crucial for over 10 years and others here have been using other brands and no one has had any problems.

OP
Phacade
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well thats good to hear! I'm familiar with Crucial, so I'll likely go that route. Naturally I need to get my Mac first. AARRGH! This waiting on my income tax is...well taxing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.