Mac Powerbook-OSX 10.4-Tiger

Reaction score
Okay mac gurus I have quite the enigma for you. I really hope you can help me out.

I have a powerbook 10.4-tiger from 2006 (dated I know but it still works great!)

Working fine and I needed to back up my harddrive so I purchased the timecapsul (1TB). Life is still great.
All of a sudden I recived a message that I had an update for the timecapsul, so like most upgrades I download it.
For whatever reason something happend, I don't know if it didn't finish, my mac went to sleep mode and didn't finish... i just don't know.

Anyways, turn it on the next day and I get a kernel panic. But it hasn't been too bad, The KP is speratic, sometimes it will pop up right away when turned on and I turn on again and it's gone. sometimes it will pop 3 times in a row and then it's fine and I can use the computer as needed.

Someone suggested I re-install the OS, I did this last night. In the middle of filling out my info on the start up....KP!!!! and i tried about 4-5 more times last night and I kept getting KP.

I am going to trying tonight again.. but any suggestions on what could be the root problem?

Any thoughts on a solution??

Please help !!

Cheers

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
hmm... kernel panics are usually hardware related. have you unplugged any USB devices you have?

(do you have the kernel panic log we can take a look at?)

OP
R
Reaction score
robduckyworth hmm... kernel panics are usually hardware related. have you unplugged any USB devices you have?

(do you have the kernel panic log we can take a look at?)

I will have to wait until I get home tonight. at work now. I will try to post tonight.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Sounds like a hardware related fault if it is doing it while installing the OS. Could be RAM or HDD related but sounds more like a dying HDD. :(
But as robduckyworth pointed out, if you could post the KP when you get a chance that would be great!

Cheers
- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Another vote for a failing hard drive alas. What does Apple Hardware Test have to say on the drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Another vote for a failing hard drive alas. What does Apple Hardware Test have to say on the drive?

... my next question exactly ;)

- Simon

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.