• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

importing video into Mac applications

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook
Need opinions from video buffs....help!

(1.) I'd like to find a way to import "non copywrited" video from a DVD Player (OR EVEN BETTER FROM THE SUPER DRIVE) directly into a simple Apple video editing program. I understand not allowing copywritten material to be imported throught the Super Drive, but not allowing home movies to be imported is a rotten Apple idea! http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/mac_images/images/smilies/Angry-Tongue.png

(2.) I miss the old iMovie 4.0 format. It was so simple and easy to use for those who didn't want to make a Hollywood movie. It did just about everything I needed to do. Is there any "USER FRIENDLY" application like the old iMovie 4.0. Why Apple didn't make a HD O.S. 10 version of iMovie 4.0 to include with the computer beats me.

I still use iMovie 4.0 for some projects and work around the bugs caused by O.S. 10.

Anyone have an idea how to get an application like iMovie 4.0 that's super easy to use?

Are there any upgrade fixes to allow iMovie 4.01 to be used with O.S. 10?

Thanx in advance for any ideas

Mr. D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
If you want to import video from a DVD for editing, you'll have to use something like Handbrake to get it on to your computer.

Are you saying that you could take video direct from a DVD into iMovie4?

OP
Mr. D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook
If you want to import video from a DVD for editing, you'll have to use something like Handbrake to get it on to your computer.

Are you saying that you could take video direct from a DVD into iMovie4?

No, I had to run it through my video camera to convert it from anolog to digital firewire.

(1.) I'd like to know if there is a way to go from the Super Drive into a video editing program for non copyguarded material to avoid quality loss.
I heard Final Cut Pro allows that. Correct or not?

Among the decades of dumb moves Apple has made with great productsince the Mac II, killing iMovie 4 for a overly complicated O.S. upgrade was among the dumbest. The guy who just wants to edit his vacation video doesn't want all the overkill bells & whistles and to have to study it for weeks. The O.S. 10 versions of iMovie are like having to launch the Space Shuttle to go to the grocery store! Aplle should have made a O.S. 10 version of iMovie 4.0 and then made the new version for those who want to make a Hollywood movie! (Try to import an 90 min vacation movie to make a few changes... not so simple!) Apple is forgetting the concept of user friendly that made it great and becoming more like Microsoft in trying to wring every dollar out of the customer as they are doing with the iPad, etc. (Download a free book on the iPad 25 pages in and it puts you all the way back to page 1 to make it difficult to download another free book. Not an accidental error!)

Come on Apple make things simple and for the benefit of for your customer base and profits will follow without all the Bill Gates tricks to get more money out of us!

Being an old guy, I've used Apple's since the first ones made, but I'm starting to feel used by Apple lately!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
I heard Final Cut Pro allows that. Correct or not?
No idea, sorry.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.