Is this true?

Reaction score
Are we talking sleep here or complete shutdown?Does the hard drive spin in sleep mode?

Bit of both on this topic i think! lol, on sleep however the iMac does shut off the hard drive, put it to sleep also if you like, the only thing that puts some people off is that there is still full power going to the power supply 24/7, yes the supply will not draw much power because the machine is in sleep mode but you cant get away from the fact that depending on where you stay, either 240v or 110v is sitting on the supply, nothing wrong with this as thats its job, its just the reason some people like to shut down at night.

Randy B. Singer said:
It used to be possible to find computer repair shops that would do component-level repairs, and who would charge accordingly. Sadly, those types of shops are becoming harder and harder to find

Sadly yes this is true, we still do pc's to component level because as you say is pennies for the simple parts that mostly fail.

We could easily do apple mac and they are a joy to work on but sadly we find it hard to get spares and if we do if its not a simple component then the prices are shocking :Angry:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Bit of both on this topic i think! lol, on sleep however the iMac does shut off the hard drive, put it to sleep also if you like, the only thing that puts some people off is that there is still full power going to the power supply 24/7, yes the supply will not draw much power because the machine is in sleep mode but you cant get away from the fact that depending on where you stay, either 240v or 110v is sitting on the supply, nothing wrong with this as thats its job, its just the reason some people like to shut down at night.
That's true whenever the Mac is plugged into the wall outlet. That's what wall outlets do--provide 120/240v input current. It doesn't matter if the Mac is on, asleep, or off, it always has the same input voltage.

When a Mac is asleep, it uses perhaps 1w of power, which is about the same as it uses when off.

Kax

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13" 2.4GHz Core i5 10.7.3 4GB DDR3 RAM 500GB HDD
Really interesting subject with a lot of info I did not know I think I`ll start sleeping my MacBook. because I only make it sleep when I will be back to it in an hour to three not more. I like to shut down my MacBook because that is what I do to my Pc.
I have been using Pc`s for about 6~7 years now (I am only 15 years old :) ) and I switch it off at night and turn it on in the morning.
thank you all for the info and special thx to IMACFAN15 for opening the subject. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I never switch my MBP off , simply close the lid.
Have been doing this since April 2008.
I only restart the machine when Apple Software Update forces me to :)

Cheers ... McBie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.