How many ATV's?????

Reaction score
Before someone jumps down my throat, i have searched for previous threads discussing same, and nobody has provided an answer!!!

ok so, i am going out to buy an apple tv,

i have 3 flat screens that i want to use atv with,
Do I
-buy one atv and move it from tv to tv as required? (pain)
-buy 3 atvs at an expensive cost?
-is it possable to connect more than one atv to itunes library ?

All comments most appreciated

Thanks Guys
Ronan

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
ok so, i am going out to buy an apple tv,

i have 3 flat screens that i want to use atv with,
Do I

-buy one atv and move it from tv to tv as required? (pain)

This probably makes the most sense financially.

-buy 3 atvs at an expensive cost?

This is certainly an option.

-is it possable to connect more than one atv to itunes library ?

ATV's are simply "networked devices"...so yes they should connect to iTunes just like three networked computers. Of course I'm not exactly sure if you mean an iTunes library on a computer...or the iTunes Store.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Expensive cost? I guess that's all subjective. I don't consider $99 for an AppleTV to be expensive. :)

OP
R
Reaction score
No $99 dollars is not exspensive but $297 is!!

think ill just stick with the one

Thanks for the help

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Those three TVs were a lot more than that.

So's the yearly satellite / cable / box rental fee for each one of them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|
Can you access multiple itunes libraries from one ATV? That's the question!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I can access a gen 1 and a gen 2 ATV from the same iTunes library. That's all I can attest to from personal experience. Works just fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Can you access multiple itunes libraries from one ATV? That's the question!

As has ben said, yes. However, you can only be logged into one iTunes Shared account at a time. It's just a matter of logging out of one and logging into another. My wife and I use one ATV in our living room, we just switch accounts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
As has ben said, yes. However, you can only be logged into one iTunes Shared account at a time. It's just a matter of logging out of one and logging into another. My wife and I use one ATV in our living room, we just switch accounts.

Well it's not always as complicated as actually logging in or out. It all depends on how you have your Home Share setup. We just all log into my Home Share account and that way all our iTunes show up as an option on the AppleTV.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well it's not always as complicated as actually logging in or out. It all depends on how you have your Home Share setup. We just all log into my Home Share account and that way all our iTunes show up as an option on the AppleTV.

I guess that would work and you could authorize her iTMS protected media to play on your account. So far my wife and have not tried that but maybe we will once I get my new rig up and running.

Reaction score
Buying another ATV was the best move I've made. I'm looking at a 3rd one now. I've got NitoTV on both of mine now and I'm streaming from the same external HD plugged into my airport extreme. Mine are both wired so no issues with the larger files. The wife and kids in one room and me in another room streaming from the same HD with no issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 17" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook, iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, AppleTV2 (x2), iPad1
I've got two ATV2s and they are both connected to my iTunes library with no problem whatsoever. One is wired and one wireless and I notice no issues on either of them when streaming. Between the DVR and the ATVs, we rarely use the Blu-Ray player anymore and that cost as much as the ATVs combined did. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a third if I had another TV that was without. IMO, it's a necessary accessory for a television, at least in my house.

Reaction score
I have a few TVs also and am not sure which TV to install the ATV on. If I plugged an HDMI cable into the back of two TVs, could I just unplug the ATV and move it from TV to TV? Is it that easy to transport within the house?

Reaction score
I have a few TVs also and am not sure which TV to install the ATV on. If I plugged an HDMI cable into the back of two TVs, could I just unplug the ATV and move it from TV to TV? Is it that easy to transport within the house?

Yes that is an option. They are very easy to move. Just the HDMI and power (that is if you are wireless) - I ran network cable to all the rooms that had a cable connection so that I didn't have to stream stuff wirelessly.

Reaction score
Yes that is an option. They are very easy to move. Just the HDMI and power (that is if you are wireless) - I ran network cable to all the rooms that had a cable connection so that I didn't have to stream stuff wirelessly.

Yes, we are wireless here. I figured I would order the Atv and twoHDMI cables but I wanted to check here first!

Reaction score
I am planning a second one as well.

With the latest OS update on them I have no need to jailbreak anymore. I didn't find XBMC to be all that stable anyway streaming from my Dlink NAS.

I run an Air Video Server on linux and I connect with my iPod or any of the 4 iPads in the house and all of them can stream wirelessly to the apple TV. Works Fantastic!!!

Apple TV servers up movie rentals, Netflix, music and photos as well.

Perfect package and the $99.00 won't hold me back on a second, will probley end up with 3 now it is working so well.

Reaction score
Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retire
Your Mac's Specs
iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2
No $99 dollars is not exspensive but $297 is!!

think ill just stick with the one

Thanks for the help

It's considerably cheaper than 300 GBPounds !!

Pah !:Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Air 256GB, 21.5" iMac 2.7GHz, 3 (yes 3) Apple TV2's, AT&T iPhone4
I feel your pain, and was in the same EXACT predicament. Here is what I came up with after lots of trial and error...

First, moving them from TV to TV was not only a PITA but it was taking forever to get the streaming sync'ed back up and lots and lots of restarts after every move.

I purchased 3 ATV's, one for each system. Hooked them all into the same iTunes account that is constantly running and open on my iMac. I have no problems or issues watching content on any given TV and one little thing I discovered, that was NOT advertised, but makes total sense -- pause a movie I am watching with my ATV in the Family Room and go to bed, turn on ATV there and it Resumes where you left off. Again, simple enough to explain but dagnabit if I wasn't excited.

Here is where I encountered issues...iTunes only lets you authorize 5 devices to your account. So do the math, 3 ATV's, 1 iMac and my MacBook Air and aww snap, I am out of devices. Well I also have an iPad2 and my iPhone. For some reason my iPhone doesn't count as a device, and I haven't figured out why, but the iPad does. So what was happening was iTunes was using like a rolling authorize. It was strange and would love an explanation, but anyway, it was then locking up any given ATV as an authorized device. ARGH (ended up deauthorizing the iPad)

But now everything works great, except for that pesky reset after sleep issue, but that's not related to your question and I posted it elsewhere already. Don't know if that helps or hurts

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
pause a movie I am watching with my ATV in the Family Room and go to bed, turn on ATV there and it Resumes where you left off. Again, simple enough to explain but dagnabit if I wasn't excited.

That works with any iDevice that is connected including your iMac itself. Pause it on the ATV, go the iMac and it will pick up playing in the same spot since it is the very same copy of the media. Works with audio too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.