Brand New mac slow and crashing

Reaction score
I have had my mac mini 2010 2.4ghz 2gb ram latest osx and updated software

The first thing to surprise me was the slow start up, a few minutes

doing the same things i did on my 1gb netbook without problems is causing my mac to freeze, having to force quit or losing work in pages

incredibly frustrating as i am a writer which was my reason for upgrading

on my 1gb netbook i was able to listen to music, browse, run gimp and open office at same time without slow down or problems

on this i am running just pages and copying a jpeg into it is causing it to quit, after one image, on my netbook i did this with large tiff files one after another until the file size was over 3gig in open office and no problems

safari shows spinning wheel and freezes constantly

i havent installed or changed anything other than gimp and open office, they seem to work fine albeit slower than on my old netbook

ran disk permissions, checked drive, 240 gb hard drive free

cant undertsnad why it should be so slow, quite upsetting really as i didnt expect it after reading about macs, surely it isnt the ram if i was on 1gb prior on a low spec netbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
If it is still under Apple Care I would recommend taking it to your nearest Apple Store to get it fixed/ replaced.

- Simon

OP
A
Reaction score
i dont have applecare or a nearby store, it was bought from a catalogue, surprised its that drastic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you purchased it new and less than twelve months ago take it to an Apple reseller.

Reaction score
If you're not just trolling and actually being honest, something is definitely wrong with your new Mac. Perhaps it's a faulty hard drive or bad RAM? It should not under any circumstances run that way.

OP
A
Reaction score
i was surprised, i convinced my gf i needed to spend our money on a more powerful and reliable computer after countless broken pcs and she was surprised at how slow programs were to open, i thought perhaps its because im comparing to a netbook that is minimal and need that extra 2gb of ram to get it up to speed, but today more so pages, and safari have kept crashing and getting the spinning wheel if i do more than two things, the actuvity monitor shows spikes but im not sure what causes them, perhaps preview and flash are to blame? though it works fine on youtube, pages with images take a long time to load and opening new bookmarks causes it to freeze. my main concern is pages because i cant afford to have work lost when im writing, writing poetry you cant really stop and tell yourself to save, and adding images to a large body of text can take hours only for it to crash on the last page or when converting to pdf, like i said all things that are fine on a netbook i have, i expected the mac mini to be a lot more reliable in terms of losing work and force quits

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
first off: all apple products come with a 12 month warranty, regardless of where you got them from. the easiest way to fix this, is to take it to the store.

open activity monitor, and it will tell you what causes the spikes.

download smartreporter and that will tell you the condition of your drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Also I would stop comparing your Netbook and Mac mini. They are different hardware, different OSes and making comparisons just doesn't make any sense. You can't possibly be doing the same things because they don't even run the same software.

Now....

You'll need to provide us a little more info on what else you're running, how large the image files are that are causing the crashing etc.

I know you're upset, but you also need to realize what you're experiencing is not normal and probably caused by either bad hardware or a software conflict based on something you installed. If this was common, you'd be hearing other people complain. ;)

To be perfectly honest, I'm leaning towards you installed something and just haven't told us what that is because what you're experiencing doesn't seem to be a hardware issue.

OP
A
Reaction score
ive found that switching to google chrome im not having any freezes at all, safari would freeze when opening and a new tab and as soon as i would start to type in the search bar, beachball for 5 mins and everything else stalling at same time

pages seems to work fine since removing open office org from my mac, i cant seem to do anything in an open office file without it crashing and at the same time causing pages to crash, especially if i select all text and change font for example

ive been using cmd and s as often as i can remember so hopefully ill be fine yet, need to convert all my oo docs to pages, h

installed since getting my mac there is pages, open office, chrome, vlc(i removed perian since i read it might be a cause for problems, and gimp,

still getting the odd freeze so perhaps there is some sort of bad file or conflict somewhere, perhaps open office fonts or the fonts in some of my documents that arent installed on my mac

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.