Imac 21.5" or second hand 24"

Reaction score
hi i was wondering if anyone could help me chose which one is best for me,
i am a student so i qualify for the apple student discount so i could buy a imac 21.5" or i could be a second hand imac 24" on ebay,
at the moment i am leaning towards the 24" as my dad has a hp monitor with the same screen as the imac 24" and that is amazing
help please.

OP
S
Reaction score
thanks im wondering whether that is a bit to big because my desk is relatively small compared

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, you certainly can't take the 27" iMac with you to Starbucks.... :) But in reality it's not that much larger than the 21.5" iMac. Go into a local Best Buy or Apple store and look at them side by side. You'll see what I mean.

Reaction score
When it comes to everyday computers, I always recommend buying new. You'll get a fresh system without wear plus you'll have Apple's factory warranty intact. When you buy a used machine, you never know how it was used by the previous owner. Think of this like a used car--sometimes the car was driven every other Tuesday for a 5 mile round trip, sometimes it was driven on a 27 mile commute through rush hour by an individual with a lead foot on a daily basis. The same applies for computers--components such as hard drives may have been used excessively over time and thus have a greater chance of failing earlier.

It's fine to buy an extra computer (i.e. not for daily use) or vintage computer used under most circumstances, but please be aware of the risks of purchasing from third party sellers. Think of a refurbished Apple machine as a "certified used car"--it's been inspected and has a lesser chance of failure, but the components have still accumulated wear and tear not present in a new model.

Although the extra screen size is tempting, the 21.5" should be adequate for most purposes (although there are some exceptions--what are you planning on using this computer for?) and will likely fit on your desk without a problem. The 27" model is almost too large for a home or student user, although there are again exceptions depending on the machine's expected uses.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.