• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple Announces App Store Subscriptions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
It's interesting that they're also enforcing this on existing apps. This means that apps like Hulu, Netflix, Kindle, etc have to retrofit their apps to offer subscriptions directly through the app as well or be pulled. I wonder how they'll react?

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
This will be a disappointment, if any company decides to leave over this or increase prices. But I have a feeling the majority of users would just purchase directly through the distributor's website anyways.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
This whole process will weigh heavily in my continuing with the iPad if stores such as Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, B&N have to pull out.

There is no way that Amazon or B&N (among others) can offer to sell ebooks "in app" for the same price as the iBooks store and give Apple a 30% cut of the money. The only work around I see is going to be for all these type of apps to remove the in app link to their web store. This would enable them to still sell and allow you to download your material to their apps.

This is an indication, for me at least, it may well be time to begin looking at the other alternatives that are on their way to the market.

I definitely no longer plan on upgrading to the next version iPad until all of this shakes out.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I'm hoping this will be one of those rare occasions, where Apple decides to go back on this decision -- especially before iPad 2 comes out.

I use Netflix and Hulu Plus apps regularly, and I plan on being a heavy user of the Kindle app in the future. If those services are affected by this, I'd also reconsider other options.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.
This whole process will weigh heavily in my continuing with the iPad if stores such as Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, B&N have to pull out.

There is no way that Amazon or B&N (among others) can offer to sell ebooks "in app" for the same price as the iBooks store and give Apple a 30% cut of the money. The only work around I see is going to be for all these type of apps to remove the in app link to their web store. This would enable them to still sell and allow you to download your material to their apps.

This is an indication, for me at least, it may well be time to begin looking at the other alternatives that are on their way to the market.

I definitely no longer plan on upgrading to the next version iPad until all of this shakes out.

Absolutely. I was trying to talk the GF into getting a new iPad when it comes out, and just give her the existing iPad. Now I think it might just be a wise decision to keep what I've got and just use it for reading comic books, and the occasional iBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Apple most certainly is being exceedingly greedy here, and I firmly believe that some anti-competitiveness/anti-trust issues are being violated. It's bad enough that Apple wants the 30% cut on everything, but with that being the cut Amazon and others get for ebooks in their own deals with publishers, there is no room for profit of any kind. And since Apple says they MUST sell for the same price or less than what they sell it for via other sources, they can't even jack up the prices to make up for Apple's take. Meanwhile, Apple can still sell ebooks themselves and make a killing. They are making their 30% one way or another. When it comes to others, services like Pandora can barely pay their own bills. When Apple takes 30% off the top of their subs, they won't make it.

And this brings up another point… where does it stop? Will Apple demand a 30% cut of any advertising revenue from in-app ads (or do they already)? A 30% cut off eBay auctions? When I buy coffee via a Starbucks app, will that start counting as an in-app purchase? Where will it end?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
Apple already controls the hardware of their devices through manufacturing and production in addition to the nice 50% profit margin on all devices, do they honestly need more money?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Voting with one's feet or dollars is usually what gets thing like this taken care of. I wonder how this model would fly on the MAS?

Reaction score
Voting with one's feet or dollars is usually what gets thing like this taken care of. I wonder how this model would fly on the MAS?

I bleef that if this goes on the MAS, I would for sure stop using the MAS. I don't really "buy" my apps as much as I download free apps from the iOS App Store.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.