Ipod buying advice

Reaction score
I have been asked to buy an iPod for a colleagues birthday present - we had a whip round in the studio.

Been told to get myself down to the local Tesco before friday - looking at the Apple iPod page on Tesco Direct just now.

Take it that is like it is like buying a computer, buy the best one available?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
There are just too many different iPod models & designs...that buying "the best one available" does not exactly apply.

First you need to decide which model type (go to the Apple store online to see the different models & designs). Once you decide on a model & design...then you could apply the "buy the best one available" rule.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
You need to decide on a budget and go from there. Obviously, if your budget is $50, then the iPod Touch is out of the question. On the other hand, if a gift worth $225 would be appropriate, then the Shuffle will not suffice. (I'll let you translate the currency.)

In the US, iPods seem to be popular corporate gifts. The Nano and the Shuffle seem to be the most popular gifted models, but that may be because of the price ranges. The Nano has a couple different storage options. I wouldn't spend extra on the 16gb Nano model. It's too close in price to the entry level 8gb Touch, which is a much nicer device. 8gb is still plenty of storage space for an iPod.

Although some diehards will probably object, I'd suggest staying away from the Classic. Its antiquated technology, that is strongly rumored to be discontinued this year. It contains a hard drive with moving parts which is being phased out by solid state memory storage which continues to drop in price.

You can't really go wrong with any of them. Just decide what an appropriate amount to spend would be and get the model that matches your price range.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Touch 4Gen 32Gb iMac 21'5 , 4GB memory, Core2Duo 3.06 GHz, 1 TB Hard Drive
I would say, if your choice is an iPod Touch, go with the 32GB, I originally purchased an 8 and (BTW it's really 6.50 GB, because the OS is 1.50) it fills up VERRRRRRRRRY fast and the difference in price is (in Cannuckland) $70.00 to QUADRUPLE the memory...
Yes, I traded mine in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Touch 4Gen 32Gb iMac 21'5 , 4GB memory, Core2Duo 3.06 GHz, 1 TB Hard Drive
I wonder what the final outcome was...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.