Upgrading from OS X 10.2

B@B

Reaction score
I have an older Mac Pro given to us by a family member who's upgraded to a new machine. The one we have is running OS X 10.2. I would like to upgrade it to a later version so that I can use the wireless network adapter that I just purchased, which requires 10.3 or later.

Snow Leopard seems to require 10.4 or 10.5 in order to upgrade. Can anyone suggest the best, most cost-effective upgrade path that doesn't involve wiping everything off the hard drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
You could back up everything onto an external HDD (see if you can borrow one from a friend or the likes) then install 10.6 clean install. Whatever way you do it, it is gonna cost a little $ or £ to do :(

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
As SL is Intel only I don't think it's going to be an option here.
We need more specific specs to be able to advise properly really. I suspect at the very most Leopard will be possible, but it will depend on processor and ram specs.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have an older Mac Pro given to us by a family member who's upgraded to a new machine. The one we have is running OS X 10.2. I would like to upgrade it to a later version so that I can use the wireless network adapter that I just purchased, which requires 10.3 or later.

Snow Leopard seems to require 10.4 or 10.5 in order to upgrade. Can anyone suggest the best, most cost-effective upgrade path that doesn't involve wiping everything off the hard drive?

I'm pretty sure something is wrong here. You either do not have a "Mac Pro"...or you got the OS version (10.2) wrong.

The oldest model Mac Pro shipped with OS 10.4.7...so I'm pretty sure you're not running OS 10.2 (if you truly have a Mac Pro).

It is possible you have a Powermac G5 (which looks like a Mac Pro)...if so then you may have OS 10.2 on it. But then if it is a Powermac G5...you cannot run OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) since it does not have an Intel cpu.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
I'm pretty sure something is wrong here. You either do not have a "Mac Pro"...or you got the OS version (10.2) wrong.

The oldest model Mac Pro shipped with OS 10.4.7...so I'm pretty sure you're not running OS 10.2 (if you truly have a Mac Pro).

It is possible you have a Powermac G5 (which looks like a Mac Pro)...if so then you may have OS 10.2 on it. But then if it is a Powermac G5...you cannot run OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) since it does not have an Intel cpu.

HTH,

- Nick

I knew there was something bugging me about the OP but I couldn;t put my finger on what it was, good job you spotted it! ;)

- Simon

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I knew there was something bugging me about the OP but I couldn;t put my finger on what it was, good job you spotted it! ;)

- Simon

Thanks. Now you can relax & take a nap!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. Now you can relax & take a nap!;)

- Nick

Didn't take a nap went to a mates house and ended up playing Pro Evolution Soccer instead :D

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As Nick stated need much more information. No Intel machine will run Jaguar OS X.2, and no PowerPC machine will run Snow Leopard OS X.6,. Go to 'About this Mac' and tell us what it says.

OP
B

B@B

Reaction score
It is a Power Mac G4. No idea how to get to "About This Mac", but I'd like to, if only to see how much memory it has. So what OS are we realistically looking to upgrade to? All I need is 10.3 for the network adapter to work...or information on how I can get a wireless adapter that works with 10.2.

I don't want to wipe the HD clean because the thing is loaded with software, the person who gave me the thing can't find the install media, and if I have to buy all new software (some of which may not even run on this OS), then it's not really a "free" Mac anymore and I might as well buy a Mac Book.

So...what are my options?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is a Power Mac G4. No idea how to get to "About This Mac", but I'd like to, if only to see how much memory it has. So what OS are we realistically looking to upgrade to? All I need is 10.3 for the network adapter to work...or information on how I can get a wireless adapter that works with 10.2.

I don't want to wipe the HD clean because the thing is loaded with software, the person who gave me the thing can't find the install media, and if I have to buy all new software (some of which may not even run on this OS), then it's not really a "free" Mac anymore and I might as well buy a Mac Book.

So...what are my options?

WOW...there's a BIG BIG difference between a "Mac Pro" and a Powermac G4!!!;) The oldest Mac Pro is still worth around $1000...a Powermac G4 (depending on the model) is worth about $25-$100 bucks!

To get to "About This Mac"...go to the Apple drop-down menu & choose..."About this Mac". This Powermac G4 would have no problem running OS 10.3.

As far as the software...if you don't have the original install disks...then the software is not legal.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
W
As far as the software...if you don't have the original install disks...then the software is not legal.

Well, you might think this is quibbling, but that's not an absolute in my mind. If you had said "potentially illegal" I'd agree. It becomes illegal when installed on more that one machine. If the discs are just lost, that might not be the case.

Now, Nick, how is this issue different from installing 10.6 over 10.4 or lower from the $29 disc? Just sayin. ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, you might think this is quibbling, but that's not an absolute in my mind. If you had said "potentially illegal" I'd agree. It becomes illegal when installed on more that one machine. If the discs are just lost, that might not be the case.

Now, Nick, how is this issue different from installing 10.6 over 10.4 or lower from the $29 disc? Just sayin. ;)

I was focusing on this statement from the OP...

"I don't want to wipe the HD clean because the thing is loaded with software, the person who gave me the thing can't find the install media, and if I have to buy all new software (some of which may not even run on this OS), then it's not really a "free" Mac anymore and I might as well buy a Mac Book."

This is the "classic" situation of where someone gets (buys or is gifted) a computer with applications already installed...without install disks. We know the "common" programs...MS Office, Adobe CS3, CS4, possibly Final Cut, etc.

As far as the installed programs being illegal. Looking at it from Adobe's point of view (for example)...I think that the OP would have a pretty tough time convincing Adobe that they are the original purchaser of the programs...with the goal of possibly qualifying for the purchase of software upgrades for the apps. on this PM G4...versus paying the MUCH higher price for full install versions of the apps.

Like the OP said..."I don't want to wipe the HD clean because the thing is loaded with software...and if I have to buy all new software (some of which may not even run on this OS), then it's not really a "free" Mac anymore and I might as well buy a Mac Book."

This is still a "free" computer (not sure what the OP means by it's not free). Since even if the HD was wiped...it's still a free computer...just without the apps.

The alternative is to buy a MacBook (as the OP mentioned) AND buy the necessary applications. Which of course is going to cost a lot more than "free"!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As far as the installed programs being illegal. Looking at it from Adobe's point of view (for example)...I think that the OP would have a pretty tough time convincing Adobe that they are the original purchaser of the programs...

Well, yes, but just because someone at Adobe suspects that a user is lying doesn't mean he or she has actually violated any code of ethics. That's why I said I did not agree that your statement was an absolute truth. Like I said, you may think it's quibbling. Apparently, I was right about that. It's just my OCD erupting. Pay no attention. I'm a literalist through and through, not a critic.

And, the OP (Bob) says it would no longer be free to him because he'd have to pay for the software that is already installed. Sure, he didn't pay for the computer, but he'd be out a few hundred bucks that would still be in his wallet if he hadn't been given the computer and then felt compelled to buy that software.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, yes, but just because someone at Adobe suspects that a user is lying doesn't mean he or she has actually violated any code of ethics. That's why I said I did not agree that your statement was an absolute truth.

I agree that like most things in life...nothing is 100%. In the case of pre-installed software on an old computer that someone gets for free (or even pays for) with no install disks...I'll go with the odds...and say in the overwhelming number of situations...the software installs are not legal...or at least "questionable".

With those odds...I'll play the stock market any day!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, it's questionable in all situations. Given the propensity of human frailty in ethical behaviors, you probably have the odds on your side.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, it's questionable in all situations. Given the propensity of human frailty in ethical behaviors, you probably have the odds on your side.

In this particular case...whether the software installs are legit or not...the OP still ended up with a free Powermac G4!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.