hardware and os upgrade

Reaction score
Have macbook 1.1 with 1gb memory and 80gb hd and running Tiger. Want to upgrade to 2gb memory, larger hd (500gb) and snow leopard. Was going to get the new hd in a "upgrade kit" that includes an "enclosure" as that seems to make transfer of data from old hd easier.

Am getting a bit lost reading articles and posts scattered on the internet that each involve different parts of the above desribed overall upgrade.

Would very much appreciate help with process or links to most useful instructions.

What would be the best order of doing the upgrade (ie. hardware and software) and how do I migrate everything from my old hd to new hd?
It looks like the memory upgrade is fairly easy. Probably do that first. After that it seems complicated on how best and in what order to install snow leopard (apparently a "clean" install is best) and finally end up with snow leopard and all my old data and programs from my old hd onto my new hd.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
I would upgrade the RAM, (try Crucial,) then the HDD, then get the Retail version of Snow Leopard to get to SL, best to upgrade Hardware before software.
You will want to backup everything you need to an external HDD before hand if you want to keep your important files/ document/ music etc.

Hope this helps.

- Simon

OP
A
Reaction score
how about this

Have been reading more. Is the following possible/advised.

I have new hd, new memory, and copy of snow leopard.

Can I in this order:
1.Change 512 memory modules for new 1024 modules. (online videos; looks fairly simple)
2. Remove the old hard drive. (online videos; looks fairly simple)
3. Install the new hard drive that is totally clean/blank. (online videos; looks fairly simple)
4. Install the snow leopard directly to the new hd. Apparently after I format and partition new hd. (online videos and instructions; just follow the prompts?)
5. Plug the old hard drive into the usb enclosure that comes with the hd upgrade kit and then migrate any desired data, applications, etc. directly from old hd to new hard drive. If this is possible should I use the "migration assistant" some posts talk about to do this or is there a recommended program for doing a migration. Not sure from some posts whether I can or even should migrate applications. Don't have that many but still looking for original install disks.

Thanks again for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. Yes, Migration assistant is probably the best to use as it is built for exactly what you are doing.

Your list is in exactly the right order aswell ;)

Post back if you need any more advice though :)

- Simon

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.