Airport Connection Constantly Fails

Reaction score
I'm sure there is a post out there that already addresses something similar to this, but my connection is failing and needs to be reset every minute or so, so looking through old posts while having to constantly reconnect to the internet would just be cumbersome... I apologize. Feel free to redirect me if there's a post with this same question...

My internet has been failing about once a week for a little more than a month now. At first I figured it was my home internet, since it's rather crappy, and because the problem was always fixed when I reset (unplugged for 30 seconds and plugged back in) the router.
I'm beginning to think it's my computer that's the problem. In addition to going out at least once a week at home, it now is having problems connecting to the university internet at the university I research at, and various other networks that I am fairly certain aren't down like my mac says they are. Today, for instance, I'm at the university, and my internet worked for the first 5 minutes, and then failed (which I can tell it's doing when it says "Airport: Looking for networks...." instead of "Airport: On." I went to network preferences and used the "assist me" diagnostics to reconnect, which worked. 5 minutes later, internet stopped working again. I reconnected using diagnostics...5 minutes later same drill. It's now cut down to every minute or so I have to reconnect using the diagnostics assistant (won't connect otherwise), and it works every time, but fails a minute later.
I know a very limited amount about networks and connection, but still feel like something isn't right here. Airport should not be failing to connect as often as it does...
Anyone have any idea what could be wrong? Or is there nothing wrong? I don't even know, but this is definitely annoying.

I'm using a macbook, a little more than a year old, OS X 10.6.6.

Also, my battery runs down after barely 3-4 hours of use now, on lowest brightness but constant internet/word/excel/various other similar programs, is this abnormal (too short) for a year old macbook? Or normal? It's aggravating because I got used to it lasting 5-6 hours, and now it's not, but I don't know if it's anything to be concerned about...

Thanks for any responses in advance. :]

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.