Dsl

J

JES13

Hi - I'm using DSL via a 'famous' (dunno if I am allowed to mention the 'name' :-( ) company and I'm getting fed up, WE can't get the 'perks' (like virus protection and 'help' tools etc., because they are MS supported) AND my DSL is now running VERY slow!

Is there a MAC supported DSL company I should try??? (thou Hubby may want to stick with this 'famous' DSL company <sigh>)....

DSL should NOT be SLOW! I had a PC and getting on AOL was a p.i.t.a. too!

Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Graphite uses his super psychic powers... roadru... wait no no! ...verizon!

try out cable.. from roadrunner.. comcast... tds metrocom... those likes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
roadrunner is great on support, even macs. :)
note tographite: your not psychic, you're drunk. lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
i use verizon.. make sure you are close to the switching station the closer you are the faster it is... if you are over 2 miles get cable..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Well, there is no special type of DSL that works better for Macs or Windows machines. DSL works on any OS, just like any internet connection does. It is not going to be faster or slower because you are using a Mac.

If you are looking for an ISP that offers tech support for Macs, just call them up and ask. You can also check out their sites online.
I have found that more Cable companies are better with offering Mac tech support than the phone companies with DSL are.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I use SBC and have for over 4 years now. It works great with any type system. They do support the Mac a bit at least, but I never use their support anyway. The only thing that might be hard for a beginner is setting it up with a Mac but you don't even need the software. Somewhere in the manual there are instructions about logging into the modem and you just enter the signup username and password and go to a page and make your account. Then all you do is replace the username and password with the one you make with the account and it works fine. Never had a problem with them except one time with a mail server problem. They said it was MY MACHINE. I asked, which one, I have 15 with Mac OSX, Linux, Windows Xp, 2k 98, and she started to studder and fixed the problem ON THEIR END. I guess I sort of freeked her out with all my systems and OS's!!

Other than that, they have been very reliable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
PowerBookG4 said:
i use verizon.. make sure you are close to the switching station the closer you are the faster it is... if you are over 2 miles get cable..

We also have Verizon DSL, and I can't say that I have any complaints. It's never gone down, and the speed is pretty decent considering we have 4 machines sharing the connection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
ever notice how dial up is faster on a mac than on a pc?
no?
i did!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Moving this thread since I have no idea what it has to do with Mac-Forums Suggestions or Support.

OP
J

JES13

Thank YOU!

Thanks for all your help - Schwab I don't understand your logic??? (Support)

I WAS (am) asking for help - - - and yes I'm talking about Verizon - where we live is a VERY small state - 'switching' lines??? (someone mentioned) yes - lately VERIZON won't let us in or it's VERY slow if we sign up at night it's VERY slow....

Dial up was slow at night DSL shouldn't be :-(

Thanks again for your answers may look into others....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
The forum you initially posted in is for Mac-Forums Suggestions, Mac-Forums feedback, and Mac-Forums support NOT Apple or other product support. I hope that clears up your confusion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.