help

Reaction score
hello i am new to mac purchased a macbook pro from a friend and love it the front glass was cracked purchased one thru ebay and attempted to install but their was a screw that was stripped on the mother board so i stopped did not want to crack board but realized i could remove screen without tearing laptop apart began to remove screen but camera stuck to glass and pulled apart does not work now bought new camera and replaced but keep getting there is no camera connected when i try photo booth im not familiar with mac i was a pc user are there drivers to install ? or do i have to remove battery to reset camera ? camera cable seems ok please help the rookie thank you [email protected]

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

It's probably a good idea to look at the step by step instructions for removing the front glass on the display. And at the same time look over the various cables and connections to make sure you have everything in place as it should be.

This link is the place to go. Have your model number on hand.

iFixit: The free repair manual

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
A bit of punctuation would make your post easier to understand.
[pedantic mode]
Hello I am new to mac. (I) purchased a macbook pro from a friend and love it. (However,)the front glass was cracked. (I) purchased one thru ebay and attempted to install but their(there) was a screw that was stripped on the mother board so i(I) stopped (because I) did not want to crack (the) board but realized i(I) could remove (the) screen without tearing (the) laptop apart(. I) began to remove screen but (the) camera stuck to (the)glass and pulled apart (and) does not work now(. So I) bought new camera and replaced (it,) but keep getting there is no camera connected when i(I) try photo booth. im(I'm) not familiar with mac (as I)i was a pc user. (A)are there drivers to install or do i have to remove battery to reset camera ? (The)camera cable seems ok. (P)please help the rookie, thank you.
[/pedantic mode]

C

chas_m

A *big* thank you to MightyGem for that. I understand this is a casual place and not a gathering of English teachers, but Jiminy Crickets people -- this is a TEXT-BASED medium. Clear, readable, concise text is a MUST to get the right answer quickly.

There are many people here for whom English is not their first language and that's okay, we'll cope -- but the rest of you, SERIOUSLY, when you can't be bothered to attempt even minimal amounts of punctuation, capitalization or spelling, why should WE care enough to try and slog through the mishmash to help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
A bit of punctuation would make your post easier to understand.

That could even attract an answer! ...none so far.

P.S. You could employ another comma after "Hello". ;)

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
also, instead of just writing "help" you could write something that indicates your problem.....

Mighty Gem, that was really funny :p

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Mighty Gem, that was really funny

A *big* thank you to MightyGem for that. I understand this is a casual place and not a gathering of English teachers, but Jiminy Crickets people -- this is a TEXT-BASED medium. Clear, readable, concise text is a MUST to get the right answer quickly.

I disagree. I don't happen to think it's funny nor do I think criticizing someone for their grammar, spelling, punctuation, (or lack of) has any place in these forums.

In case you folks have forgotten what our guidelines say, let me repeat this part for you:

Play nice.

Our community is made up of all kinds of different people, and all of them have the right to feel comfortable. Others may not think the way that you think, believe what you believe, know what you know, or see what you see. Always be polite and respectful in your interactions with others.

These forums are about helping each other in case you've forgotten.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
That's me with a slapped wrist, then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I disagree. I don't happen to think it's funny nor do I think criticizing someone for their grammar, spelling, punctuation, (or lack of) has any place in these forums.

In case you folks have forgotten what our guidelines say, let me repeat this part for you:

Play nice.

Our community is made up of all kinds of different people, and all of them have the right to feel comfortable. Others may not think the way that you think, believe what you believe, know what you know, or see what you see. Always be polite and respectful in your interactions with others.

These forums are about helping each other in case you've forgotten.

Thanks for your cooperation.
I don't see anything in MightyGem's post that is abusive or insulting, or that would violate the guideline you posted. He is providing constructive criticism.

I see nothing to indicate that the original poster is not a fluent English speaker, or is making honest mistakes or typos. It seems that he's merely being lazy, while asking for free help. Which is fine, he's entitled. But the fact is, if you're asking for someone to help you in exchange for nothing at all, it really improves your odds if you can state your problem in a way that doesn't give people a headache.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
okay sorry guys.

as for the actual problem i am guessing that in the process of trying to take the screen off he damaged the isight connection.. and so is trying to replace it with a webcam.
so yes you will need the drivers. if they dont install automatically, usually hardware comes with a CD that has the drivers on it. if that doesnt work you will have to check the website of the manufacturer for Mac OSX drivers.

it could well be that you have bought a product that is PC only unfortunately.

or re reading the post, am i right in saying that you installed a new internal isight camera?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't see anything in MightyGem's post that is abusive or insulting, or that would violate the guideline you posted. He is providing constructive criticism.

I didn't say the post was abusive. And as for providing constructive criticism, that's debatable. I don't see it that way. From our guidelines:

Our community is made up of all kinds of different people, and all of them have the right to feel comfortable.

Would you feel comfortable if someone had critiqued your post in the same way?

Enough said. Let's get on with the business of this forum.

Thanks all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Where I think the problem comes in is where you feel the need to only comment on someone's grammar instead of actually trying to take a second and actually help them with their question as well. It just doesn't come off as very friendly.

Not saying you shouldn't or can't give feedback on someone's writing style, but at least also take a second to try and help them with their original point as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
What about the comfort of those of us who want to help but have to decipher badly written posts. I'm not trying to make anyone feel UNcomfortable, but clear, effective communication is key, especially when it comes to computers and such. If the OP really didn't know what was wrong with his post, I think we ought to tell him so he can start to correct his mistakes, and we can start posting responses.

I'm aghast at some of these basic violations of simple punctuation and spelling. I thought that computers, IMing, and texting would have made better writers of us by now.

Again, not trying to make anyone feel bad, just trying to get them to communicate better so we can communicate back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
What about the comfort of those of us who want to help but have to decipher badly written posts. I'm not trying to make anyone feel UNcomfortable, but clear, effective communication is key, especially when it comes to computers and such. If the OP really didn't know what was wrong with his post, I think we ought to tell him so he can start to correct his mistakes, and we can start posting responses.

I'm aghast at some of these basic violations of simple punctuation and spelling. I thought that computers, IMing, and texting would have made better writers of us by now.

Again, not trying to make anyone feel bad, just trying to get them to communicate better so we can communicate back.

You must have missed my response. It pretty much answers your question ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
Misguided English lessons aside (and ignored)

Thanks for the iFixit repair reference, that's a real gold mine.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're welcome. Have fun and visit often.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.