Snow Leopard Airport Problem HELP!

Reaction score
Hi,

Ive just recently updated my macbook osx to snow leopard however im having problems with the airport! ive never come across this before on my mac but for some reason when i try and log into my wireless Internet the connection times out, this is a right ball ache! can anyone help me out? ive tried a software update but theres nothing coming up

Thanks
Jordan

Im currently on 10.6.6.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Have you rebooted your Mac and the router? What type of encryption are you using on your Airport? What Airport do you actually own?

OP
J
Reaction score
Have you rebooted your Mac and the router? What type of encryption are you using on your Airport? What Airport do you actually own?

yeahh ive rebooted both, ive never had a problem now all of a sudden when i updated my osx its encountering loads of problems, timing out after a few seconds and basically wont let me log into my preferred wireless network

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeahh ive rebooted both, ive never had a problem now all of a sudden when i updated my osx its encountering loads of problems, timing out after a few seconds and basically wont let me log into my preferred wireless network

Well answer my other questions and we can start looking at how to help you. :p

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
What router are you using?

What type of encryption are you using?

What Mac do you have?

As a first test, have you gone into Network preferences and removed all existing known networks and then re-addedit?

Edit: schweb is faster than I am.

OP
J
Reaction score
Well answer my other questions and we can start looking at how to help you. :p

its a WEP Encryption, and the router is a Phillips SNA6500 set up on another computer (windows xp) im entering the right passcode etc but its just timing out apparently its common fault with snow leopard? i searched google for help but it makes no sense!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WEP encryption is pretty old and completely insecure and there are some Mac compatibility issues with it, especially 40-bit WEP. Using WEP, you might as well not use anything at all since you can hack into in about 30 seconds with freely available software.

Can you change the encryption type to WPA or WPA2?

OP
J
Reaction score
WEP encryption is pretty old and completely insecure and there are some Mac compatibility issues with it, especially 40-bit WEP. Using WEP, you might as well not use anything at all since you can hack into in about 30 seconds with freely available software.

Can you change the encryption type to WPA or WPA2?

yeahh i should be able to, which one shall i change it too? i will do it now so will take 5mins

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WPA2 is the most recent standard and the most secure. I would choose that if it's available.

OP
J
Reaction score
WPA2 is the most recent standard and the most secure. I would choose that if it's available.

Okay ive changed it to WPA and set it up, its all working because i had to re connect on my iphone and apple tv so WPA is now activated! however when i go to log onto it on my macbook its coming up with the same problem :/

OP
J
Reaction score
ohh some how ive managed to fix it, if it goes off again though i will re post here!

fingers crossed it wont! ha

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great, keep us posted!

OP
J
Reaction score
I did have it working but today i closed my macbook lid and it went to sleep as soon as i opened the lid it came up with connection timed out again! WHAT THE ****! arghhh how annoying!

Any other ideas?

Reaction score
Just did a software update on my Mac Pro, and now I'm running into the same problem. It won't connect to the wireless router, even though the password is correct, the connection "times out", have tried re starting the computer, the router, the modem, but nothing is working, so glad I'm running Mac for the ease of use unlike windows....oh wait.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.