Why get a mac over pc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Why get a mac over pc?

The operating system is better...now the problems

The gear costs too much
The gear comes with too little memory
The company (Apple), demands money for about ever event possible after the purchase of the unit.
The optical digital out in all units is jitter prone and there is no RCA digital out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
The operating system is better...now the problems

The gear costs too much
Sometimes a few dollars more, and sometimes a few dollars less than any other well built unit of the same sort of specs.
The gear comes with too little memory
Too little memory for what?

The company (Apple), demands money for about ever event possible after the purchase of the unit.
No idea what that is meant to mean!

The optical digital out in all units is jitter prone and there is no RCA digital out
Not it my units, and I don't see the need for RCA out ....BTW, I'm a musician who uses my Macs for audio recordings, as well as occasionally hooking them up to my TVs too, and still have no need for RCA.

Reaction score
Sometimes a few dollars more, and sometimes a few dollars less than any other well built unit of the same sort of specs.

The PC's that cost the same generally deliver more...ie, faster, more memory, and process more programs with greater speed.

Too little memory for what?

Music to start with..my iMac came with half the memory needed to play high rez music files and only allowed enough new memory to barely operate.

No idea what that is meant to mean!

I can get a PC repaired about anywhere...Mac's need mac care and Apple charges a fortune for simple repairs.

Not it my units, and I don't see the need for RCA out ....BTW, I'm a musician who uses my Macs for audio recordings, as well as occasionally hooking them up to my TVs too, and still have no need for RCA.

Really, what audio files are you trying to play, MP3's or iTunes dross? if you go bit perfect or better, the jitter in the optical out is plainly audible in a decent audio system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
The PC's that cost the same generally deliver more...ie, faster, more memory, and process more programs with greater speed.
Quality of build, quality of components and performance?
Yeah right? lol

Music to start with..my iMac came with half the memory needed to play high rez music files and only allowed enough new memory to barely operate.
What iMac is that.... ummm, how old is it?
My 2007 Macbook came with enough memory to do what you say your iMac couldn't do!

I can get a PC repaired about anywhere...Mac's need mac care and Apple charges a fortune for simple repairs.
And if you have a PC, you have a lot higher a chance that you will need to get it repaired.
My 2007 Macbook has never needed any repairs.

Really, what audio files are you trying to play, MP3's or iTunes dross? if you go bit perfect or better, the jitter in the optical out is plainly audible in a decent audio system.
Ummm, no it's not!
Try getting better quality cables and get high quality legal music downloads or purchases.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I smell troll.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

so why did you buy an iMac, why are you on a mac forum, why did you bother?

Reaction score
What iMac is that.... ummm, how old is it?
My 2007 Macbook came with enough memory to do what you say your iMac couldn't do!

My iMac is also from 2007 yet it had only 2GB of memory...Pure Music software needs at least 4 to work properly.

Try getting better quality cables and get high quality legal music downloads or purchases.

I have the best glass toslink cable I can find. That does reduce Jitter, but not enough. The DAC handles most of the rest but the final product has a high end grit that cannot be avoided in my setup.

Try playing a 24/96 file with an IMac as it comes...try one of these

Blue Coast Records - Blue Coast Collection

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
So let me get this straight, you bought a 4 year old Mac and are complaining it only had 2GB of memory in it?

I'm going to assume you must have known this when you bought it?

Are you seriously here to do anything other than troll at this point?

Reaction score
so why did you buy an iMac, why are you on a mac forum, why did you bother?

Because the build quality is better, the software more user friendly, there are fewer failings and the best music software works best with that software. I use my MAC as a music server. I own 3 PC's that I use for normal computer stuff.

I am here because there are a lot of things about Macs that are not obvious so I use the site as a source of information and to make the unit I do own work as well as it can.

I like Mac's...I just am not blind to their flaws as are some.

Reaction score
So let me get this straight, you bought a 4 year old Mac and are complaining it only had 2GB of memory in it?

I'm going to assume you must have known this when you bought it?

Are you seriously here to do anything other than troll at this point?

I bought it in 2007 but I have only begun to use it seriously lately when I discovered it was so RAM weak.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GB of RAM is quite good for 07. current macbook pros use 4GB as standard, and can be boosted to 8, and you cant say thats weak.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I bought it in 2007 but I have only begun to use it seriously lately when I discovered it was so RAM weak.

So you are upset that a machine you have had for 4 years doesn't do what you need it to do now but you haven't bothered to upgrade it in the 4 years you've had it? Seriously?

Reaction score
2GB of RAM is quite good for 07. current macbook pros use 4GB as standard, and can be boosted to 8, and you cant say thats weak.

And costs $1800 for a 15 inch...

A 15 inch Dell Inspiron 15 inch with 4GB of ram costs $599....

Again, a Mac is a better machine BUT it does have its flaws...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"

Very true.

It's all the little things (backlit keyboard, aluminum chassis, led screen, magsafe, trackpad, lightweight, lipo battery) that isn't included with the cheaper laptops. You have to wonder what the computer company skimped out on to make it that cheap or if they're making much of a profit.

While I think that Macs are worth the price, I think that the customer is still getting slightly ripped off.

Reaction score
Very true.

It's all the little things (backlit keyboard, aluminum chassis, led screen, magsafe, trackpad, lightweight, lipo battery) that isn't included with the cheaper laptops. You have to wonder what the computer company skimped out on to make it that cheap or if they're making much of a profit.

While I think that Macs are worth the price, I think that the customer is still getting slightly ripped off.

As I said, the Mac is a better product BUT,one can buy 3 inspirons with the same capabilities for the money and in 2 or 3 years both the machines will be obsolete...at that point all the better quality in the Mac is dwarfed by the need to buy a new machine...

To me the software is what makes the machine worth while, not the fancy box.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

better processor, hard drive, GPU and so on.... i believe those inspiron mobo's are quite limited as to upgrades.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
No wonder I was reluctant to approve this thread, when it was flagged for moderation. :\

Reaction score
better processor, hard drive, GPU and so on.... i believe those inspiron mobo's are quite limited as to upgrades.

3 years and both are obsolete...updates might give you an extra year but the dell fellow can buy an update in 3 years and still be hundreds ahead.

The software is what makes a Mac special...that and what a Mac can do with music with good software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.