Why get a mac over pc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
In regard to notebook, the MBP built is bar-none. There's nothing that comes close to the built quality from the Window PC side. Nothing comes close to the extended battery life either. The OS is somewhat dependent upon the user's preference, but to me the Apple OS is much more fluid. It provides only essential info. Less overload, redundant, unnecessary, sometimes crippling the user of his task with info.

I had an HP notebook, the difference between that and my current refurb MBP was only $300. The best extra $300 dollars I've ever spent. And I can still run Windows on my MBP, but that's only on occasion out of necessity.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
thanks for all the great responses my mother decided to go half with me with a mac i may get the mac or i may just get a pc that has an i5 or 17 intel processor to suit my gaming needs since there the same price only because if i buy the mac and it does not run those games that i want then i wasted all my money but if i buy a pc that i know is better than the one i got i know it can run the games since\e the slower one which is the one im on now can run games at medium im still very undecided

Mate, with all due respect, a bit more construction in your sentence would make it much easier to read. ( and to help if it were a question ) :)

Th vwls n my kybrd dn't wrk vry wll d thy ?

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010+ Mac Mini, 2.4 ghz, 8 gigs RAM / iPad (1st gen) 32gb 3G / iPhone4 16gb / iPod Video 30gb
This doesn't tell us a whole lot. What if you turn 11 this year! Ha ha!;)

- Nick

Fair enough... let's see if this helps: My first PC didn't have a hard drive. It had two low density 5.25" floppy drives.

OP
B
Reaction score
Macs aren't "perfect". They require some basic maintenance and have their issues. After 20 years with PCs, I switched. Haven't looked back. I've had corrupted files in WoW, got locked out of my system after updating to 10.6.6, and met the permissions issue face to face among other things. The problems are just a lot quicker to fix on a Mac and for the most part answers can be found pretty quickly via Google. Networking a mixed system of Mac and 3 flavors of Windows was pretty much painless.

That said, after my fiasco with my first Alienware, I pretty much told my husband that my "flirtations" with trying a Mac were over. I was switching. Haven't regretted it for a moment. I regretted it so little that when Alienware finally replaced the laptop, I gave it to my husband. I didn't want PC headaches. It runs very well for a PC, BTW. I'd have loved it had I not met the iMac first.

As far as gaming, I think it works smoother on a Mac. I'm usually running WoW and switching back and forth between iTunes, Skype with DH, and any number of browser windows, and I don't have the lag switching between them that I've always had on the PC. You know the one: The display blinks and the hourglass comes up as if the PC is startled that you're gonna work and play at the same time. I don't get that with a Mac. My base 2010 iMac can hold her own with that Alienware, and specwise it shouldn't be able to. I have half the RAM, only 1 vid card, and an i3 processor versus an i7. Unfortunately, it's this ease of switching between programs that has relegated me to the "hey, google this quest for me, I'm confused" person when DH and I game together. :(

We've both built rigs, we've had insanely high end machines, and in the end I'm in love with an entry level iMac. That is saying something. DH refuses to touch it. He says he is afraid he'll like it as much as I do and his Alienware has to last him a couple of years before he can upgrade. He's seen me trying to get educational stuff for the kids going on the PC, having trouble getting it to work properly, and then swapping it to the Mac where it inevitably works flawlessly. It buys me time to troubleshoot the PC. ;)

I've been scanning knitting books and magazines here lately to declutter the house. On my PC, I'd start getting memory errors and would have to scan a magazine into 3 files and then combine them. On my Mac, I can scan a 200-page book in full color all at once with no complaints. At the end of the day, when I sit down to do something at the computer, I want it to shut up, get out of my way, and do it. From what I've seen so far, the odds of that happening are just better on a Mac. I got by on Windows for years, and sure it's fine for a lot of things. Why settle for fine when you can have good?

BTW, as far as price, I think a decent quality PC is gonna run you $1200, which is what I paid for my iMac. Unless you're really really broke and having to buy your PCs off the shelf from Walmart, you should be able to pull it off.

Thanks for the response i will take all this into consideration but as of right now im still debating on the pc and the mac ill have to go to a mac store to get more info but you all have helped me greatly thanks i really want the mac but i jus wanna make sure games work well on it first. And as for wow i think that game can run on any pc my mother has a pc with only a gig of ram and a crappy video card and it works fine still but i dont think it could run starcraft 2.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Big boi, I wish you luck but please... find the period (.) on your keyboard! I'd love to help but your posts are a bit of a nightmare to make sense of without reading them aloud!

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Big boi, I wish you luck but please... find the period (.) on your keyboard! I'd love to help but your posts are a bit of a nightmare to make sense of without reading them aloud!

he could benefit from the comma too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP 16gb ram, 2.3 i7, 500 gb hd, 750 gb hd
Thanks for the response i will take all this into consideration but as of right now im still debating on the pc and the mac ill have to go to a mac store to get more info but you all have helped me greatly thanks i really want the mac but i jus wanna make sure games work well on it first. And as for wow i think that game can run on any pc my mother has a pc with only a gig of ram and a crappy video card and it works fine still but i dont think it could run starcraft 2.

You can run Windows via Bootcamp and can play *all* the PC games when you boot into Windows. Compatibility is not a problem and the hardware will handle it. :) I have a Vista partition, but I haven't used it since DH lost interest in Guild Wars. This is as close as you can get to the best of both worlds.

OP
B
Reaction score
is bootcamp a program on the mac that allows you to run alternate mac applications such as programs only for windows

OP
B
Reaction score
One more thing if you was to install windows on your mac could you then get viruses since your not on the mac os your now running windows os

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP 16gb ram, 2.3 i7, 500 gb hd, 750 gb hd
Bootcamp gives you a full on install of windows in it's own partition on your hard drive. You would pick what you wanted when you boot up. Your windows partition is still going to be vulnerable to viruses. There are some virtualization programs that allow you to run Windows inside of OS X, but I don't use them so I don't know how that would work as far as gaming or the virus issue is concerned. Perhaps someone else knows?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
virtual machines such as vmware or parallels are good for when you need windows for any apps that arent graphics intensive. because you are sharing resources with OSX gaming performance suffers drastically. it is much better to use windows natively via bootcamp.

as for viruses.. they affect the windows partition, not osx, so you could wipe the windows partition and reinstall, with no viruses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 Mac mini and 2010 13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 4 and iPad
I ran bootcamp until tonight. I think it's awesome that Apple has such a thing right out of the box so that people can install windows, because whether we like it or not, sometimes we may need it. Anyway, I got tired of turning on and off and I hardly ever use windows anymore ( except for the errant program or cd that has no mac support ) so I installed VirtualBox. It's Awesomesauce! #1 is its free #2 Has great features and support so far and #3 saves the headache of me turning on and off just to use windows for a few minutes. I highly recommend it to anyone considering a VM. Parallels and Fusion I hear are good too, but you have to pay. As far as viruses that work on windows, they couldn't in their wildest dreams affect a mac, however they can be transferred to other windows machines.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I ran bootcamp until tonight. I think it's awesome that Apple has such a thing right out of the box so that people can install windows, because whether we like it or not, sometimes we may need it. Anyway, I got tired of turning on and off and I hardly ever use windows anymore ( except for the errant program or cd that has no mac support ) so I installed VirtualBox. It's Awesomesauce! #1 is its free #2 Has great features and support so far and #3 saves the headache of me turning on and off just to use windows for a few minutes. I highly recommend it to anyone considering a VM. Parallels and Fusion I hear are good too, but you have to pay. As far as viruses that work on windows, they couldn't in their wildest dreams affect a mac, however they can be transferred to other windows machines.

yep, ive just starting using it for ubuntu. theres no difference i can see between vmWare and virtualbox. its a good program.

Reaction score
I always love this question. My thoughts are this - if all yu want to do is run Windows on them and have it do every little thing that Windows does, then just stick with Windows - you'll be better off. Personally, when I switched to Mac, it didn't take me long to get used to it - a computer's a computer. But I switched full on - no more Windows for me. All Mac programs, no going back. And I will never own another PC again, I don't care how much cheaper they are. I haven't had half the headaches with the Mac as I have had with PC. And after 2 years, my little 13" white MacBook runs as fast and flawless as the day I bought it, and I use it everyday, about 6-8 hours a day. THAT's sayin' something. Show me a PC that comes close to that.

OP
B
Reaction score
I always love this question. My thoughts are this - if all yu want to do is run Windows on them and have it do every little thing that Windows does, then just stick with Windows - you'll be better off. Personally, when I switched to Mac, it didn't take me long to get used to it - a computer's a computer. But I switched full on - no more Windows for me. All Mac programs, no going back. And I will never own another PC again, I don't care how much cheaper they are. I haven't had half the headaches with the Mac as I have had with PC. And after 2 years, my little 13" white MacBook runs as fast and flawless as the day I bought it, and I use it everyday, about 6-8 hours a day. THAT's sayin' something. Show me a PC that comes close to that.

perfect response thanks for the advice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Compatibility is not a problem and the hardware will handle it. :)

Possibly, but my biggest gripe with Apple is the lack of high end graphics cards in anything but the Mac Pros, and even then not all high end nvidia or ATI cards will work without custom drivers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
Three reasons

Stability, simplicity, and graphics. Say goodbye to those blue screens of death and see how images, games, and video really look. For the first time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 13"MBA 2.2GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.11.6
+1. Couldn't have said it better. I have the white MacBook, myself and it's the Little Engine That Could. It can take on a big workload and do it all day long w/o a hiccup. You wanna game, play solitaire and fiddle with your machine all day long? Stick with Winblows. You wanna get something done? Get a Mac!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Look, I don't know the exact reason... if it's the OS, the build, the hardware or what... all I know is that despite defragging and having anti-virus software and careful internet habits, my Windows box gradually got slower and slower and just a pain to use. Inexplicable problems and slow-downs.

I've had my Macbook Pro for 3 years now and it still runs just as fast and reliably as it did when I first got it. Oh, it's still a computer. It's not magical. I've had to swap out the superdrive and I get the spinning beach ball now and then. But it's still fast and lean and just a pleasure to use. Computing is now much more enjoyable and productive and I never felt that way during all those years I was using my Windows PC and bashing Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Look, I don't know the exact reason... if it's the OS, the build, the hardware or what... all I know is that despite defragging and having anti-virus software and careful internet habits, my Windows box gradually got slower and slower and just a pain to use. Inexplicable problems and slow-downs.

I've had my Macbook Pro for 3 years now and it still runs just as fast and reliably as it did when I first got it. Oh, it's still a computer. It's not magical. I've had to swap out the superdrive and I get the spinning beach ball now and then. But it's still fast and lean and just a pleasure to use. Computing is now much more enjoyable and productive and I never felt that way during all those years I was using my Windows PC and bashing Apple.

Well said that man! My sentiments entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.