Macbook battery charging chaos

Reaction score
Hey, if anyone can help me out here, I'd be really grateful. I've got a macbook that I've had for about 4 or 5 years now. A year after I got it, the battery died and I got a new one (back when it was still under applecare). Then a few months ago, I had to get a new charger as the original died. So now I've got a new charger that was working great for a while, but in the past few weeks there's been a few issues.

1. Battery stopped working again completely
2. Got a new battery (after-market), at which point my laptop decided it could run off the battery OR the charger, but when both were hooked up it would start to turn on, get somewhere between the startup chime and the desktop display being up, and shut off
3. Reset the PMU
4. Now it has decided that they can work together and stay on, which is a plus, but they're not interacting quite right. The charger keeps randomly going from amber to green, the menu bar keeps saying the battery is 'not charging' or, occasionally, 'calculating', and the percentage charge has been jumping from 0 to 75 to 4 to 7, etc. It appears to be completely random. The battery is getting charge off of it, the green indicator lights are slowly creeping up and when it's unplugged the menu bar seems to be pretty accurate, if draining a little quicker than I'd like, but nothing drastic.

How can I get them talking to each other? Don't get me wrong - I'm glad I can trip over the charger cable now and not lose everything I was working on, but it would be kind of nice to have an accurate read of what's going on with the charge...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not all after market batteries are compatible with your MacBook even if they claim they are. If the one you have is not, you'll experience the symptoms you describe. Which after market battery did you buy?

Also, you might want to download the free cocoanutBattery application which will give you a read out of the status of the battery.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.