iOS Development-Getting tools from Apple

Reaction score
I have just begun reading the book, iPhone and iPad Apps for Absolute Beginners. In the first chapter it talks about joining the developer program and then downloading the SDK and installing the Interface Developer, Xcode, and iPhone/iPad Simulator.
I began the process to do this but it appears to cost $99/year. I'm fine with that but it appears I read somewhere that you only have to pay this and join when you submit the apps and that you can download the tools before joining. I know it'll take me awhile to learn to develop and submit my first app. The book walks you through joining the developer program but is there a place that I can download all the tools and develop so that I don't have to join the developer program until I actually submit the apps?
Thank you for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Go to this link...

iOS Dev Center - Apple Developer

Scroll down to the xCode and iOS SDK link on the left, click it and sign in, then you can download the xcode and sdk for free.

Hope this helps

- Simon

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you. That's exactly what I needed. I just signed up so now I can start learning iOS development.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|
I'm in a similar boat as you because I'm actually wanting to get into iOS development myself. Do you have a link to the book you are reading?

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes, here it is:
Amazon.com: iPhone and iPad Apps for Absolute Beginners (Getting Started) (9781430227007): Rory Lewis: Books

It is a great book for someone who has no programming knowledge at all. I did basic programming in high school and some Pascal in college but haven't touched C or any modern languages. This book assumes you know nothing about programming. Depending on your knowledge it may be basic but I figured I'd rather start with something that may be too basic than something that is too hard that it may make me just put the book down and give up.
I think this book should help you at least start doing a few basic apps. Then the next in the series that he suggests in this book is:
Amazon.com: Beginning iPhone 4 Development: Exploring the iOS SDK (9781430230243): David Mark, Jeff LaMarche, Jack Nutting: Books

This book just came out and likely is more up to date than the first since it covers iOS 4.x. It assumes some basic knowledge of Objective C. I've just ordered it and that will be the 2nd book that I read and if someone has some basic Objective C knowledge I think they could even start with this book.

Hope this helps.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
im guessing you have lost or have old install disks? cause i have the xcode and i think, the iOS ones too, on my original install discs. why download the huge files? :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.