• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Make VLC default?

Reaction score
I've searched for this before, but most say just to use open with and selecte VLC, and that file type will be associated with VLC from that point. That doesn't seem to work. Everything tries to open with Quicktime, which wants me to download a codec that doesn't work for Mac. VLC will play it, but I have to select VLC with every file. Any idea how to set VLC as the default player for different file types?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
OK best option is to right click the file you want to open with VLC, click Open With, then click Other... , scroll down the list of Apps and click on VLC, before you click Open though mark the box next to "Always Open With", this will associate the file type i.e. .avi with VLC and make it the default player for that kind of file.

Hope this helps

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Yes, merely selecting "Open With" will not make that the default application. "Always open with" will open that specific file with the selected application from then on.

If you want ALL files of that type to always open with a certain application, select the file and press Command-I (or right click on it and choose "Get Info") and near the bottom of the information window you'll see another "Open With" option with a list of applications. Choose the application you always want to use with that file type and then click the "Change All" button beneath that. Now all files of that type, not just the one you're working with currently, will open with the application you set as the default.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.