External hdd for mbp.

Reaction score
Hey fellas,

I really am in desperate need of more storage for my mbp I looked at getting a 1tb internal for my mbp but seems people just have different issues with that. So I think I'm in the market for a 1 to 2 tb hdd as fast as I can get for my machine. Is FireWire the way to go? I've read some peoples posts that USB 2.0 is 440 Mbps and FireWire is 800mbps. Then I have also read USB is actually about the same speed as FireWire. I just really want the speeds to be fast as possible. I have hundreds of gigs to transfer constantly. Anyone have a FireWire hdd? Some info would sure help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 Mac mini and 2010 13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 4 and iPad
Wow, that's alot of data transfer. :) The issue with 1tb internal hd for MBPro is the size, the hd is to thick to fit. I believe they only have up to a 750gb now that will fit inside. Firewire 800 is definately the way to go for speed. Here's an article with comparisons FireWire Vs USB: Which Is Faster? - PCWorld Business Center

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Firewire can certainly be faster so if you can get firewire then go for it.
As Lbatson has said they don't make a 2.5" 1TB drive yet so unfortunately it's not way to go for internal. There are reports of some people being able to do it with a 3.5 but over-heating has been a massive problem with doing this.

HTH
- Simon

OP
RustProofCorn
Reaction score
Anyone have a FireWire external that can be recommended?
Or would I be better off buying a enclosure then a hdd?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Not any specific recommendations, but if you are transferring a lot then you may want to get a 7200rpm on Firewire. You could try an enclosure sure.

HTH
- Simon

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Anyone have a FireWire external that can be recommended?
Or would I be better off buying a enclosure then a hdd?

OWC stocks the best FW 800 external drives but they're a bit pricey. Have a look for yourself. LINK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook pro 13" 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo 8GB RAM 750 GB HDD
Firewire is faster, but the drives that have firewire are more expensive. I suggest just going out to bestbuy and getting a western digital 1tb for mac. Its already setup for mac, so you dont really have to do anything. I got mine for around 150$

OP
RustProofCorn
Reaction score
OWC stocks the best FW 800 external drives but they're a bit pricey. Have a look for yourself. LINK

Had a look at these drives my only dilemma is that I want at least 1tb with 7200rpms. So my question. Is it the drive u like or just the enclosure? I can buy that enclosure and put in my own drive but will it be up to snuff with there all in ones? Btw I've kinda been out of keeping up with hardware is my mbp capable of USB 3.0? Is 3.0 faster than fw 800?

Reaction score
Had a look at these drives my only dilemma is that I want at least 1tb with 7200rpms. So my question. Is it the drive u like or just the enclosure? I can buy that enclosure and put in my own drive but will it be up to snuff with there all in ones? Btw I've kinda been out of keeping up with hardware is my mbp capable of USB 3.0? Is 3.0 faster than fw 800?

Capable of 5Gbps transfer speeds, the USB 3.0 interface will be significantly faster. If you have an Expresscard/34 slot, you can take advantage of it on your MacBook Pro. There are many solutions out there, but you might want to look into the CalDigit AV Drive (1TB/2TB) with dual interface USB 3.0 and FireWire 800 since it sounds like you're torn between connectivity. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.