Can a USB storage key used in a Mac & Windows?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA
Hi,
I have few documents created in a Windows computer using MS Office and stored it in a USB memory key.

I have a MBA with Mac version of the MS Office. I will be at a discussion tomorrow and plan to take my Mac book Air[MBA]. I have not put in this USB key in the MBA to see if I could open becaue of the fear of loosing my work.

I know the Windows uses NTFS format and Mac uses different.

Will I corrupt the USB key data if I put in my MBA?

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
If the USB key is formatted as Fat, which they usually are, then it should be readable by both.
I don't think there's any chance of losing anything by plugging it in and looking, just make sure you eject the image before you take it out, otherwise you can corrupt the data.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA
If the USB key is formatted as Fat, which they usually are, then it should be readable by both.
I don't think there's any chance of losing anything by plugging it in and looking, just make sure you eject the image before you take it out, otherwise you can corrupt the data.

Thank you very much. I will give a try now.
Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
As kevriano said the drive is most possibly formatted as FAT which mean that both OSs can read it. NTFS can also be read by OSX, it just cannot write to it, where as with FAT it can do both.
You cannot do any harm by simply plugging it in but if you want to be extra safe or something then just make a backup of the data on your windows machine.

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Windows will have formatted it as either FAT32 or NTFS. Regardless of which format it's in, your Mac will definitely be able to read from the drive.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA
Thank you all.
It opens alright. Phew...
Like Buzzard, I took a back up. Very good suggestion I did not think of...
Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
No problem at all!!

- Simon

Reaction score
You can read and write to NTFS partitions in OS X with a handy tool called: Paragon NTFS for Mac OS X.

Works like a dream. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can read and write to NTFS partitions in OS X with a handy tool called: Paragon NTFS for Mac OS X.

Works like a dream. :D

This is true, but... there have been some reports of data corruption for some people. If it works for you though, GREAT!! :D

- Simon

Reaction score
I have had no issues thus far with it and I write a lot to an NTFS partition. :)

But if I do get a data corruption, I will also report it. :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
This is true, but... there have been some reports of data corruption for some people. If it works for you though, GREAT!!

I haven't heard of any reports of data corruption when using Paragon NTFS, however, I've seen data corruption reported quite often by users of NTFS-3G (free version).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
I always had problems with NTFS-3G. Since I switched to Paragon 8, no more issues with corrupted files on my bootcamp Win7 partition, ext HD's or thumb drives.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.