New Airport won't work with 40-bit WEP??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 13: 2.13GHz; 4GM. iPad
I got a new MBA, and have had endless issues getting kicked off the internet, while all the other wireless devices in the house (including other Macs) stay connected. After about a month of calls and visits to Apple, a "wireless expert" on Apple phone support told me it was my router's encryption causing the problem - he said newer Macs are incompatible with 40-bit WEP and I have to switch to 128. I'm skeptical - anyone else hear of this? If so, any options to fake compatibility short of changing my encryption? While I can do that in my house, I travel a lot, and don't want to run into this issue in every hotel and office I run into. Any wisdom would be appreciated!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
We have seen repeated issues with WEP and Macs as long as I've been a member here.

Point of the matter, you may as well not be using any encryption as to use WEP. It is a dead encryption technology as it can be broken in under a minute by any of your neighborhood 12 year olds that chooses to do so.

You need to move to WPA/WPA2. There shouldn't be any businesses using WEP on their networks, at least not if they care about the security of the data on their network.

Most hotel wifi is unencrypted.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.