Macbook Pro 13.3 - won't load any device (USB/disk)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13.3
Macbook Pro 13.3 - connectivity issue - won't load any device (USB/DVD)

Hi everyone. I'm a long-time personal & professional Apple user, since '97. Until today, I've never needed to post in a forum regarding a Mac software/hardware issue. Usually I can troubleshoot my problems, or find the solution online, but this one has me stumped.

Macbook Pro 13.3, purchased in late 2010, running OS X 10.6.6, 4GB RAM, etc. This machine has worked perfectly up until yesterday. It still works perfectly except for one serious problem:

The machine does not see/mount/recognize any USB devices, memory cards, or DVD/CDs.

I have not yet tried a FireWire device, but assume for now it would not work. At first I thought this was a hardware issue, but don't see how would that cause every device type not to be recognized at the exact same moment. I first noticed the problem while using a VMware (Windows) machine. I connected an external HD for routine Time Machine back-up. VMware asked if I wished to use the HD for Mac or Windows (normal). I chose "Mac" and the drive did not mounted. That tells me the Mac could see the drive at that moment, but from that point forward no devices would connect.

There are clues pointing at a software issue:

•*Using VMware Fusion, I can open a USB device in Windows using the Mac's USB ports.

• In System Profiler, I can see a description for any USB drive that is connected. However, under Disc Burning, it shows "not disc burning device was found." I can insert a disk, it will spool up, but does not read.

I thought this might be remedied with Time Machine. I have faithfully created weekly Time Machine back-ups, but I cannot mount the drive to go back! I've even tried moving a disk image over the network, but so far no success. Very frustrating.

Because the DVD drive is not reading, I am unable to reinstall Mac OS X.

I've done the following troubleshooting procedures:

• Restart (a dozen at least)

• Reset PRAM (3 times)

• Boot from install disc (no luck)

• USB Prober (responsive, but I don't know how to fully use this app)

• Apple Support Search (no help)

• Mac-Forums Hardware Repair Guide

• Mac-Forums Software Troubleshooting

• Cleared Caches

• Repaired Disk Permissions

• Mac-Forums Search

I've about given up, but hoping someone can give me some ideas on how to access my Time Machine disc, or the disk drive to reload Mac OS X. As mentioned, the machine works flawlessly other than the connectivity problem. Thanks in advance. Any help is appreciated.

Aaron

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13.3
Update - Problem Solved

UPDATE: Good news, everything is back to normal! The solution was one or two of the steps from the OS X troubleshooting guide: deleting the cache files in the Libraries, or repairing disk permissions.

I posted the above after doing those two last steps, but I had not restarted my machine. After restart, problem went away. Thanks to Mac-Forums for your help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.