Can you do file sharing with just one folder?

Reaction score
I went into System Preferences, over to "sharing" in Internet and wireless, then went into file sharing, added the one folder I wanted to share, clicked on FTP access and exited out of there. From my laptop, I was able to access all folders from the iMac. Not exactly what I wanted. I only want one folder to be seen.

I thought maybe if I had a second user name, it'd still show all files, but not my personal files. I don't think anyway. but "Accounts" in system isn't allowing me to add anyone.
Forgive me, I'm still sort of new to this iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Go back into System Preferences > Sharing, click on file sharing and get rid of all the folders in the sharing box then re-add the folders you want to share.

Hope this helps.

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
What version of os x are you using

If its FTP access you want to configure, then Pure FTP gives you much more flexibility

PureFTPd Manager for Mac OS X

OP
V
Reaction score
Go back into System Preferences > Sharing, click on file sharing and get rid of all the folders in the sharing box then re-add the folders you want to share.

Hope this helps.

- Simon

That's what I did, went to file sharing, had a blank box, and only added the one folder. But every time I test it out on the other computer, I get all of my files, and the system files/folders I believe.
Is it going to be visible to all who share the network connection?

The OSX version is 10.6.6 , snow leopard I believe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Can you actually access the other folders from the other machine or can you just see them?

- Simon

OP
V
Reaction score
Can you actually access the other folders from the other machine or can you just see them?

- Simon

I was able to delete a folder from the other computer.

I don't know why it's letting me do that. I wanted it to be read-only, and just one folder. not everything.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.