Safe Boot on Emac

Reaction score
Hello,

I have an E-Mac 1.25 GB G4. The only way I can boot it without having the system crash with in the first few minutes is to perform a safe boot. The odd thing is I have wiped the hard-drive clean and also have a clean install of another operating system on an external hard-drive connected through fire-wire.

Whether I boot from the external or internal hard-drive the machine only works in "safe boot" mode.

While the machine works fine this way I don't have sound so I'd like to resolve the issue and be able to boot the system normally again.

Does anyone have any suggestions for trouble shooting this issue? What exactly is turned off during safe boot that is otherwise on at start up?

I'm running 10.4 from the external and 10.3 from the internal hard-drive.

Thanks for the help.....Steve

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Post a copy of the crash log or kernel panic so we can take a look at it. If you can't run normally from either the internal or external hard drive, that may indicate a hardware problem. Normally when a machine only works in safe mode, there's a driver or software conflict that's causing the problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
What exactly is turned off during safe boot that is otherwise on at start up?

Safe Boot has "only drivers necessary for mounting root or operating the system’s user interface are loaded." ie, lots of hardware drivers aren't loaded.

Is there any possibility you have installed 10.4 from a gray, specific-model DVD that doesn't match the computer type?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.