Noise from brand new iMac!

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Got my Brand new 27" iMac i7 the other day, i got the first one on Thursday then after getting it home and starting it up there was a mark on the underside of the glass! anyway apple replaced this no problem.
My new one now was used for the first time yesterday and i noticed a very annoying noise which seems to be coming from the bottom of the iMac (PSU) now i know the sound of the hard drive (not that) if i put my ear to top right facing screen i can here the very quiet fan (not that) so tilting the machine in front of you and putting your ear to where the ram would go is this low whine noise which fluctuates, even if i watch tv i can still hear this! its so annoying!!
I assume it must be the PSU???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Here is a picture of the new 27" iMac i7, notice where the fans are, I have beautifully marked them out in a nice shade of pink ;P
I reckon it could be one of the fans. They should not be making that much noise though. I would take it back in, get them to plug it in and listen. (Try and go when it's quite though)

attachment.php

Hope this helps

- Simon

OP
harvey3178
Reaction score
Hi,

Well i took it back to the apple store and they swapped it over, got this one home and its perfect! cant hear a thing except from the odd hard drive noise but give me that any day over that **** whine! lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Glad you got it sorted pal.

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21½" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac, 12GB Crucial RAM
You see, this sort of good customer service is what I like to hear prior to my making a purchase of my own iMac. Well done Apple!

OP
harvey3178
Reaction score
You see, this sort of good customer service is what I like to hear prior to my making a purchase of my own iMac. Well done Apple!

Exactly! there service in my own experience is second to none! When i took this one back the guy at the apple store said " when you are paying this kind of money for something you want it to be perfect, anything less is just not acceptable!"

Now thats service! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.