Upgrades to make games run faster?

Reaction score
Hi all-- new to the forum.

I have a macbook from summer 2008. (Macbook 4,1)
Running OSX 10.5.8
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
2GB 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
Intel GMA X3100

The only games I play are Sims 3-- the base game along with the ambitions and nightlife expansion packs.

The game lags terribly, I have to put all the graphics settings within the game on low. Game freezes often, and really can't enjoy the extent of the game consider graphics/speed/freezing issues.

I'm not terribly familiar with computers, but I've been told by a few people that more RAM would help this issue. I've also been told that I should get an upgraded processor chip.

I'm wondering what you guys would recommend to up the graphics capability/speed/game play and how you would recommend doing those upgrades/where I can find any new parts at the best prices.

Thanks so much! I think I included all the info you'd need, but like I said-- I'm not super experienced so if there's anything I left out please let me know where I would find the info on my comp to relay it to you.

Thanks so much for your help!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm wondering what you guys would recommend to up the graphics capability/speed/game play and how you would recommend doing those upgrades/where I can find any new parts at the best prices.

The ONLY thing that you can upgrade that would have ANY chance of performance gains...would be ram...and that's ONLY if Sims 3 needs more than the 2 gig of ram you already have.

Otherwise...then ONLY way to make Sims 3 run better is to get a newer/faster computer. CPU & GPU cannot be upgraded.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
More memory is not going to help. The reason the game lags is because of the integrated graphics chipset your machine uses. The Intel GMA X3100 is not really designed to give good performance for games that need graphics speed and rendition. It's adequate for card games, simple games, and those that do not need frame speed.

If you want to play graphic intensive games you need a machine that has much better graphics capability. The best would be a machine with dedicated graphics and its own VRAM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I totally agree.. RAM only improves multiple applications running at the same time, as far as for gaming, 2gb of ram is already acceptable and will run in a minimum visual setting for a game. My advise is, try to upgrade your graphics card. it'll will work fine.

You can't upgrade the graphics card (chip) in a MacBook/MacBook Pro!

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks everyone... I sort of thought that might be the case (not being able to upgrade). Guess I'll just have to deal until I can afford a new computer.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Thanks everyone... I sort of thought that might be the case (not being able to upgrade). Guess I'll just have to deal until I can afford a new computer.

the new unibody macbook pros are quite good for video games like the sims: the graphics arent amazing but it doesnt really lag.

then again im sure you can find a nice PC laptop (get ready... some ones not going to like that term here :p) which can run the Sims quite formidably.

its whats best for you really, but anything will be an improvement.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
then again im sure you can find a nice PC laptop (get ready... some ones not going to like that term here :p) which can run the Sims quite formidably.

Actually we recommend this quite frequently for folks looking for better gaming performance. Mac's just aren't the best gaming computers.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
the new unibody macbook pros are quite good for video games like the sims: the graphics arent amazing but it doesnt really lag.

its whats best for you really, but anything will be an improvement.

Find me a Windows laptop with a form factor the same size or smaller that is just as well designed as a Macbook Pro that can run games "formidably." :p

They don't exist. Sure I can get one, but it's going to be bigger, heavier, and usually run hotter. Let's just be honest at what we're really getting here. :)

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Find me a Windows laptop with a form factor the same size or smaller that is just as well designed as a Macbook Pro that can run games "formidably." :p

They don't exist. Sure I can get one, but it's going to be bigger, heavier, and usually run hotter. Let's just be honest at what we're really getting here. :)

well this is true. they will always be clunkier, heavier and just generally not as nice to look at :p

but lets face it, if you are looking for gaming, you might aswell get one, because you get a better spec (in some areas, i.e the processor) for your money. at them moment, round the corner from where i am, they are selling i3 and i5 Dells and HP Laptops for around £600. compare that to the nearest Macbook with an i3 is well over a grand.

obviously there are reasons why they are cheap (you cant upgrade the RAM past 4GB due to restrictions in some cases).

But hey, ill not give up mine, and id much rather have a core 2 duo MBP, due to exactly what schweb described. (and lets face it, i need OSX.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.