putting 3rd party memory into mac- okay? void warantee?

Reaction score
Hello,
I am sure this has been asked before; but unfortunately my net is super slow here and I can't search very well...
but I have a macbook pro 13" and I want to max it out. It has 4GB ram and I want 8GB. The mac prices are huge but it seems third party is much cheaper. I have used 3rd party many times before with no problems.
Does this void the warantee if 3rd party is used? Is there a way for them to tell if I needed service and went back in and put in the original memory?
thanks,
Micah

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Suggest using recognized Mac compatible dealers for your memory such as OWC and Crucial. There is no need to pay Apple's prices for memory and installation.

Reaction score
Does this void the warantee if 3rd party is used?

Apple officially considers RAM to be a "user upgradeable item." So they're good with it.

I can also tell you that, legally speaking, they aren't allowed to void your entire warranty just because you didn't use their upgrade parts or have them perform the upgrade. This was determined years ago in a legal case where a car company tried to void a warranty on a car because it was repaired by an independent mechanic who used non-OEM parts.

They *can* refuse to cover under warranty any damage done to your Mac while doing the upgrade if you don't have Apple do it, and they *can* of course refuse to warranty the third-party RAM. But third party RAM is covered by the third-party's warranty.

You should know that if at some point in the future you send your Mac in to Apple for repair that they love to almost automatically remove your third-party RAM, often even in cases where the RAM can't even logically be related to the problem that your Mac is having, and return it to you in a plastic bag with your repaired Mac. (i.e. they won't re-install it for you.)

+1 on the recommendation of OWC RAM.

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
if something goes wrong somewhere else, be sure to put the apple installed parts back in before taking it to the store, or they could blame you for the failure. (unlikely, but be on the safe side.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
One day in Contract Law class, the professor asked one of his better students, "Now if you were to give someone an orange, how would you go about it?"

The student replied, "Here's an orange."

The professor was livid. "No! No! Think like a lawyer!"

The student then recited, "Okay, I'd tell him, 'I hereby give and convey to you all and singular, my estate and interests, rights, claim, title, claim and advantages of and in, said orange, together with all its rind, juice, pulp, and seeds, and all rights and advantages with full power to bite, cut, freeze and otherwise eat, the same, or give the same away with and without the pulp, juice, rind and seeds, anything herein before or hereinafter or in any deed, or deeds, instruments of whatever nature or kind whatsoever to the contrary in anywise notwithstanding..."

:D

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
One day in Contract Law class, the professor asked one of his better students, "Now if you were to give someone an orange, how would you go about it?"

The student replied, "Here's an orange."

The professor was livid. "No! No! Think like a lawyer!"

The student then recited, "Okay, I'd tell him, 'I hereby give and convey to you all and singular, my estate and interests, rights, claim, title, claim and advantages of and in, said orange, together with all its rind, juice, pulp, and seeds, and all rights and advantages with full power to bite, cut, freeze and otherwise eat, the same, or give the same away with and without the pulp, juice, rind and seeds, anything herein before or hereinafter or in any deed, or deeds, instruments of whatever nature or kind whatsoever to the contrary in anywise notwithstanding..."

:D

sometimes i wish this forum had a "like" button ;)

Reaction score
One day in Contract Law class, the professor asked one of his better students, ...

Good one!

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It does. Hit the tick/cross button and leave favorable comment and Randy collects lawyer jokes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.