MBP Random Shutdown problem

Reaction score
My Macbook pro 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2GB Ram, Model A1229 Running Snow Leopard.
I am not getting a kernel panic message it just randomly shuts down. I have checked the RAM and it is seated securely (I think it is supposed to chime upon startup if RAM isn't seated properly). I have been testing different Configurations to see if it changes the problem, and it seems to be very tempermental. With the power cord plugged in and battery in it seems to shut down sooner (within 15 minutes). But if the battery is removed and just run on the power supply alone it seems to last a lot longer. It could be heat related, but when it shuts down after 10 minutes on a cold startup I kind of ruled that out. Any Suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Random shutdowns are hard to track down. Usually, they're caused by a hardware fault which means it could be memory, overheating (fans not running), power supply problems, faulty logic board, and so on.

What if anything do your logs say?

Also, you might want to download a free application which can monitor the temperatures and fan speeds. iStatPro is a free (donation ware) Dashboard widget which gives a read out of fans speeds and temps.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you for your help so far, I have tried resetting all those values and I have iStat pro to keep an eye on things. My right side fan is not functioning, so it is likely a heat issue. My question now is do you think heat would cause this shutdown after only 10-15 minutes from a cold startup? Also I have been watching iStat for a temp reading when it shuts down and it is no higher than 90-100 degrees Fahrenheit, this is relatively cool to cause a shutdown due to overheating right?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just checked to make sure your machine has two fans, and it does. According to Mactracker, you have a late 2007 17" MBP.

One fan not working will definitely drive temperatures up somewhat. Although 90 to 100 F is not hot enough to cause a shut down.

If you're handy, open up your MBP and clean it out on the inside by using canned air. It's possible that the right side fan is clogged with dirt and dust. Clean the fans and the vents. Maybe that right side fan will start back up and work again.

Instructions and tools needed to open it up can be found at iFixit: The free repair manual by looking up your model number. Just follow the step by step guide.

OP
A
Reaction score
I appreciate all the tips, I actually have the case off right now, I haven't experienced the shut down in over 3 hours or so. I am really scratching my head right now as to why this suddenly stopped shutting down, but I will grab some canned air tommorow and give it a good cleaning. As for the fan, it is a goner. I will report back if the problem starts happening again.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, glad you have the skills to open it up. As for the fan, check out the web site I gave you in my previous reply as they also sell Mac parts. Changing out a fan is not difficult. Let us know how it goes...

Reaction score
When a Mac desktop is spontaneously shutting down without an error message, the first thing that I suspect is a bad power supply.

When a Mac laptop is shutting down without an error message, the first thing that I suspect is a bad battery and/or energy-saving circuit.

You may want to download this program and see what it has to say about the health of your battery/energy-saving circuit:

coconutBattery (free, donations accepted)
coconutBattery 2.7 - by coconut-flavour.com

You may want to try re-calibrating your energy-saving circuitry:
Apple Portables: Calibrating your computer's battery for best performance

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

OP
A
Reaction score
If it is my battery, it isn't showing any signs of being bad. Pressing the button reveals an accurate reading and it holds a three hour charge. Neither OSX or Coconut Battery reveal anything wrong.

Reaction score
If it is my battery, it isn't showing any signs of being bad. Pressing the button reveals an accurate reading and it holds a three hour charge. Neither OSX or Coconut Battery reveal anything wrong.

That's good.

You may want to try re-calibrating your laptop's energy-saving circuitry next.
It may not be the solution, but it's easy to do, and free, so its worth investigating first.

Keep an eye on Coconut Battery as you use your MacBook Pro. it can tell you some interesting things, such as your battery's temperature.

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.