New mac user.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac g3 500Mhz
Hi, I am new to the mac world, and just got an imac g3. It seems to run fine, in fact it is the one I am using currently. I was just wondering what is the maximum OS this can handle, and what is the maximum ram it can handle. I do know that it is a slot loading imac, but I cannot find the year, model, or anything on it. Also, how would I put firefox on this machine, and what version would I need? Thanks, Dan.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
You can't run Snow Leopard, as it's Intel only, and you have a PPC. How much RAM does it have now?

Do you have the OS installation disc for the current OS?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
If it is the iMac DV slot loading machine then the maximum RAM would be 1.0GB, Maximum OS would be 10.3 or 10.4 if it's 400mhz.
I wouldn't recommend Firefox as Firefox is a resource hungry browser, try something "lite".

- Simon

OP
IMACFAN15
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac g3 500Mhz
Ok, I had to take back the imac to the store that I got it from. A CD got stuck in the tray. As it turns out the CD tray was bad, so the guy at the store offered me another imac, (slot loading), and it's graphite. This one is running 10.4.11, Tiger, has a 30GB HDD, and has 256MB of RAM. I am upgrading the ram to 1GB. This one runs a lot better than the last one. Also, if anyone was wondering, I do not have the restore disks or the installation disks, but it runs excellent for my main computer.

Reaction score
You got a good deal here--the tray loading iMacs are notorious for their problematic CD-ROM drives and run considerably slower than the newer slot loading iMacs.

If you do wish to run Firefox, the current version (3.6) will run. It's a bit of a resource hog and you may find it a tad slow, but you can definitely use it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.