turn off my MBP screen when connected to TV

Reaction score
Hi there

I am trying to work out how to turn off my MBP screen, when it's connected to my TV (the screen keeps running, showing the movie on both, which is a little distracting and wasteful).

I googled my issue and the following article + link came up

Prevent your Macbook from sleeping when lid closed

versiontracker.com — It always has been a missing feature: disabling the sleep mode on a Apple Laptop. Who does not want to use it as a big juke-box or go warwalking. The best looking server ever, especially at about one inch height. This small utility is what you will want, this small utility acts as a wrapper to the Insomnia kernel extension, say hello to InsomniaX Aug 24, 2006

Anyone know whether this runs OK, doesn't kill the machine, creates a high temperature?

Also interested to know whether it still stops the computer from going to sleep when set via the apple menu, etc?

Any thoughts / experience, etc?

Thanks

wired

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Personally, I just turned the screen brightness all the way down.

Or use clamshell mode.

OP
W
Reaction score
meh, guess i could use a bluetooth mouse, but i don't really want want to clutter the lounge with keyboards and stuff - and, for the purpose of tv viewing, i wanted my mbp to be as discrete as a small dvd, or similar....

i bit the bullet and downloaded insomniaX in the end. nice wee app that serves the purpose

thanks

wired

OP
W
Reaction score
if anyone else was curious, it is easy to turn on and off and it doesn't appear to interfere with other sleep options either

wired

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
i bit the bullet and downloaded insomniaX in the end. nice wee app that serves the purpose

wired

+1 for this App, but dont forget that it is turned on when/if you decide to move it like in the back of a backpack. Would not do it any good . . . . .

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.