Bootcamp won't load XP, but wants to load Windows 7...

Reaction score
(EDIT: Does it make a difference if my mac has a 64 bit processor and I am trying to load Windows XP 32 bit?)

Quit simply I have Windows XP and want to run that through bootcamp, but after I partition my drive it only gives me the option to put in a Windows 7 disk. I don't know what I am doing wrong. :\

I watched youtube videos and the only 2 things they needed was Windows XP and their original install disk to install the Windows drivers.

This is the message that appears after I partition my drive:
"START WINDOWS INSTALLATION

Insert your windows installation disk and click Start Installation. You'll need an authentic installation disk for Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional, or Ultimate.

After you have installed and setup Windows, insert your Windows drivers disk to install additional drivers and other software for Windows."

-
When I try to put in Windows XP anyways I get this message after trying to install it:
"The installer disk could not be found
Insert your Windows installer disk and wait a few seconds for the disk to be recognized."

I cannot find anything on the internet that describes these problems I am having.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If I remember correctly, you purchased this MBP used and had to order disks from Apple? Are you sure the machine did not already have a Windows partition?

It sounds like the previous owner may have attempted at one time to install Windows 7 and stopped the installation prior to finishing. The Boot Camp assistant does not ask for a particular Windows version disk. It doesn't care as long as it's Windows XP SP2 full edition or any of the other eligible Windows editions.

I can't think of any other reason you would be getting that message while trying to install Windows?

OP
A
Reaction score
I tried rebooting and holding "option" but there is no other partition besides my Mac OS X. I don't know why it only shows the option for Windows 7 and not for XP or Vista. I am thoroughly stumped on this. I cannot find any info on this problem at all.

Thanks for your response. Yes I got my late 2009 model Macbook Pro used, but I don't see that the previous owner ever tried to setup a partition. :Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
I would recommend deleting the Windows partition you made then repair your hdd by booting into your OSX disk choosing Utilities > Disk Utility, clicking your HDD from the left pane, click the First Aid tab, click Repair Disk, then click Repair Disk Permissions. Once done (this can take some time so be patient with it) reboot and try the whole process of installing XP again. Make sure as Bob says the XP you are trying to install is XP SP2 or higher though.

Hope this helps.

- Simon

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Now that I look again at that message you received, it appears more like a statement that VMWare Fusion or Parallels gives when installing Windows in a VM. Are you sure you ran the Boot Camp assistant from Applications, Utilities?

OP
A
Reaction score
Well guys, I am now posting from Windows XP on my MacBook Pro. The problem ended up being my disk which was a valid copy of XP SP3, but it didn't work. It could have been because it was a copy or because it was SP3 which seems to cause a lot of people headaches in bootcamp.

I got ahold of an original XP SP2 disk and it worked as intended. Hope you guys can use this information in the future to help others and thank you so much for your help!

Gratefully,
Chris

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for posting back and letting us know what the problem was. I still find that very strange and unusual. I have personally loaded XP SP3 through Boot Camp without any problem whatsoever. As long as it's fixed and everything is OK.... have fun and visit often. :)

Reaction score
yeah, i get the same message, and i was installing vista ultimate. i was able to install vista though, but it won't install the drivers from mac osx disc, it says bootcamp requires windows 7.
i wonder why.

Reaction score
"yeah, i get the same message, and i was installing vista ultimate. i was able to install vista though, but it won't install the drivers from mac osx disc, it says bootcamp requires windows 7. i wonder why."

I have BC 3.0, and I also managed to get vista ultimate 32 to install with no problem, but I am getting the same message that says I need windows 7 to install drivers. Any suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have BC 3.0, and I also managed to get vista ultimate 32 to install with no problem, but I am getting the same message that says I need windows 7 to install drivers. Any suggestions?

If you're trying to install on a late model Mac (2010 - 2011), XP and Vista are not supported.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.