Safari's "mouse gestures" extension doesn't fully work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
So I was searching around for a way to browse w/Safari in full screen mode, which apparently Apple hasn't deemed a worthy feature, when I discovered that there was an update to one of Safari's extensions. Mouse gestures". I got really excited about it because my first thought was: "they must have updated the gestures to include a swipe to top and bottom!"

And I was right! But, even after restarting the browser, it seems that either it doesn't work, or I'm a bit daft ? I've even tried changing it to a different gesture such as "create new tab" (for swipe up) and "close active tab" (for swipe down) Those gestures don't work for me either.

Stupid question but... These gestures ARE performed with 3 fingers, right? I'd assume yes, because swipe left and right work just fine with 3. Has anybody tried this yet ?

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
OP
Doug b
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Haha. I AM daft! I guess I just assumed that the label "mouse" was kind of generic since technically speaking, the same "mouse gestures" which I use in Firefox, also work just the same with my trackpad(s).

Confirmed. I just hooked up my BT mouse and it does work. Too bad I find using a mouse a terrible way to navigate now that I have a Magic Trackpad. Pretty lame extension IMO. I hope they update it. Guess I'm not terribly upset in general though, after checking out the memory usage with Safari vs. FF. Safari just gobbles memory up from the get go. What's up with that?

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
I don't know why Safari does this, it takes up 600+ MB here to.

As for Safari swipe to top and bottom, I use.
Download BetterTouchTool for Mac - Customize gestures on your MacBook. MacUpdate.com

txvo9c49c9hnxbw

This application is a bit weird, you double click the application to start the background process, then you double click it again to open its preferences.
And don't command+q when you want to close it's window, it quits the background process also. Which means your gestures will not work. So just click the windows close button when closing it's window.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I don't know why Safari does this, it takes up 600+ MB here to.

I have had mine as high as 1.2GB once where BB swirling all the time. A quit every 4 hrs i found helps. Painful though. Im sure vansmith could have a answer for us as i think i have seen him post something about it before. He uses Opera i think from memory.
I love Safari otherwise

And thanks for that link too McYukon :)

Cheers

OP
Doug b
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting that you guys are ok with the memory usage which has no logical reasoning behind its existence. I don't see any real life advantages in using Safari other than aesthetics vs FF or Chrome or Opera.

I should have also said don't bother with Better Touch Tool, as I find it redundant, and to be yet another wasted resource. This "feature" should simply exist in Safari by default. This is also why I don't use tools like Pathfinder or those other Finder alternatives. I don't like using more resources than necessary, kind of an OCD thing for me.

I wonder though, if there isn't a way to customize certain aspects of safari much like how you would with FF's "about:config" function. I've already looked at the contents of the Safari app folder and looked in the .plst file, but I don't see anything useful there. Nor in any of the other places. Though i could have missed something.

My only wish for FF is that it was as light as Chrome and that it integrated with OS X as well as Safari. I've got it looking close enough, but it just lacks that little bit that makes Safari look so streamlined. I only use Safari when developing though, to make sure my site looks the same in it, as it does in FF. Won't use Chrome, because I'm not digging Google's information raid. It's about the only reason I'd consider stop using Android, as well.

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.